• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Help I'm in NJ and can't own anything

I don't know what you mean

It sounds like you live in a prison due to the laws of NJ.

Seriously, move to Georgia! You are now a member of a huge Georgia network of mostly sympathetic people. Use it and get the hell out of dodge. Need a job? Ask here. Need a place to live? Ask here. Need some new friends? Not a problem. Just come to a couple of the ODT meets.

The bs posts about moving are cute and all, but aren't very helpful.

OK friend here's what you need to do. You need to apply for a NJ Firearms ID card. The card is required for purchase. If you wish to purchase a handgun, you need to apply for a handgun purchase permit. You can apply for up to 6 at a time and the cost is $5 each (if it hasn't changed). It can take up to 3 months to get your permits and you will have 90 days to use them. Rifles, and shotguns are purchased with the NJ Firearms ID card. You will need to go to your local court house to obtain the paperwork for the card. The cost is approximately $70 and you will be required to be photographed, fingerprinted, and provide character references.

Before making your purchase you will need to become INTIMATELY familiar with the NJ firearms code 2C. Read it, and understand it thoroughly. Make sure to familiarize yourself with laws regarding ammunition and transportation of firearms. This is VERY important. I would also keep a copy of the law with you at any time you leave the house with a firearm in possesion. The firearms code is lengthy and convoluted...officers rarely understand it.

The most hardcore hunters and shooters I've ever met have been from NJ, you have to be serious to jump through the hoops and take on the risk of being a legal firearms owner.

If you are ever in need of legal counsel I'd look up Evan Nappen Esq. in Elizabethtown. He is the best lawyer in NJ for firearms cases.

Best of luck, and feel free to pm me with additional questions.

Last edited:
I have a friend that left nj so he could own the guns he wanted. He hated it but loved guns more. I would move.

And yes the philly NYC connection is what ruins this area so much crime and bull**** which is even more of a reason to own a gun but can't. The kicker though was that you can be charged the same Delong weapons charge for a red Ryder BB gun as a real gun, once I found that out last month that was the final straw.

Yea that whole paragraph of hoop jumping stunts is why I pretty much just accepted that I can't get one and got a bow. Thanks for the replies

You CAN get one if you aren't a felon. It's not difficult, so don't give in. It isn't hard, and I didn't mean to discourage you. Just be smart.

That is exactly the reason the laws are as asinine as they are. It will take you one morning to get it all submitted and then you are done.

How do you conceal a crossbow?

It won't matter because ccw permits are nearly impossible to get if you aren't a politician, le, or mafia. The real reason is to add to the number of legal gun owners in the state, and be able to take part in the shooting sports and defend yourself in your home if necessary. I'd re-think giving up so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom