• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help me pick a knife - $40 range

mjrgt03

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
270   0
Reaction score
Once all the knives on Amazon started looking alike, I figured it was time to come ask the ODT for opinions. I'm looking for an EDC knife in the $40 area - sorry, but Benchmade isn't in the budget. I currently rotate between a Case Peanut and a Case Trapper, but I'm looking for a locking blade.

Caveat, I'm not a knife savant. I like them, and I know how they work. I know enough about knives to think about the type of steel, but not enough to name the types of steel off the top of my head. I won't be out chopping wood with it, but I don't want it to break if it drops.

I like the Kershaw Leek, but worry about the thin-ness of the blade (is thin-ness a word?). I like the Spyderco Tenacious, but think it's probably a little too large for me to carry every day. The Kershaw Cryo and Spyderco Persistence look appealing, but not sure I'm sold on either of them. SOG Mini Aegis - maybe a little over budget.

What can you boys do to help me narrow this down? I'm thinking around a 3" blade. Maybe a little more, maybe a little less. I like assisted opening, but I'm not married to the idea (as you can tell by my Spyderco options).

Hit me with some opinions.

Last edited:
Cold steel mini recon. Thickest blade you'll likely find in the price range and one of the strongest locking designs available.

I've owned both the Cryo 2 and the Persistance, great blades. Ontario Rat 2 is another good choice. Kershaw Skyline's and the SOG flash models are good. Lots of great "all around" options. Make sure it's lightweight and the steel holds a decent edge, if you wanna carry it err day.

If any of those interest you i'd sell you any of the 3 for whatever a fair price is.

10306944_10152171004928300_1328509971_n.jpg

I like the Blur, but it's just over the budget. Will I want a longer blade than the 2.75" on the Cryo (again - knife noob)? The Drifter is intriguing - Googling now.

Back
Top Bottom