• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

high fructose corn syrup

This has been an interesting read. Sniper22 mentioned being 'poor', and that's part of the equation. It's cheaper to sweeten things with HFCS than real sugar. It's not that either of them is great for you, it's just that the food manufacturers can make more $ by using HFCS. Now that people realize it's garbage they'll pay a premium to get real sugar in the form of the Mexican Coca-Cola, no HFCS Ketchup/BBQ sauce, etc. Wheat has also been bastardized to an extent that makes eating a piece of wheat bread cause a worse insulin response than table sugar. Most of our food is crap, so the more you can stay away from processed/pre-packaged food the better. This is a 2-sided coin, however. A lot of these 'innovations' also allow the masses to survive on relatively cheap food.

This has been an interesting read. Sniper22 mentioned being 'poor', and that's part of the equation. It's cheaper to sweeten things with HFCS than real sugar. It's not that either of them is great for you, it's just that the food manufacturers can make more $ by using HFCS. Now that people realize it's garbage they'll pay a premium to get real sugar in the form of the Mexican Coca-Cola, no HFCS Ketchup/BBQ sauce, etc. Wheat has also been bastardized to an extent that makes eating a piece of wheat bread cause a worse insulin response than table sugar. Most of our food is crap, so the more you can stay away from processed/pre-packaged food the better. This is a 2-sided coin, however. A lot of these 'innovations' also allow the masses to survive on relatively cheap food.
You've done some good research.

You've done some good research.

I got interested in it after reading 'Wheat Belly' and watching some documentaries such as 'King Corn'. Having my trimmer crap out because of the ethanol gas also got me interested in all of this. It's all related. I try to eat zero bread and only use ethanol-free gas in my power equipment. The only time I drink Coke is if it has JD in it. Don't get me started on the whole 'fat is bad for you, eat more whole grains' garbage-agenda that is also pushed on us incorrectly. I tested this theory by eating 4 eggs a day for breakfast each morning for close to 2 years and my cholesterol is great.

I got interested in it after reading 'Wheat Belly' and watching some documentaries such as 'King Corn'. Having my trimmer crap out because of the ethanol gas also got me interested in all of this. It's all related. I try to eat zero bread and only use ethanol-free gas in my power equipment. The only time I drink Coke is if it has JD in it. Don't get me started on the whole 'fat is bad for you, eat more whole grains' garbage-agenda that is also pushed on us incorrectly. I tested this theory by eating 4 eggs a day for breakfast each morning for close to 2 years and my cholesterol is great.
I know what you mean. I've been studying this for years. And as soon as I figured out what was bad for you I lost 115 pounds. Go figure.

Well I gotta say, although I knew some (and I stress the word 'some') of what was discussed here, this has inspired me to try to eat better. Hopefully that inspiration will last more than 5 minutes. My wife knows a bit about all of this stuff too. Thanks, everyone, for the insight.

Yes the sugar cane is sooo much better. When I was down in Haiti I had the pleasure of being able to eat raw sugar cane. It was amazing! Haha. So I'm not a tree hugger by any means, but I try to stay away from sugary soda all together. I found that I was addicted to the carbonation, not the taste. Went and bought a Sodastream and make my own carbonated water now. Just squeeze some fresh lemon in it and it's glorious. You'll be much better off that way IMO.

Man oh, man. My mom used to buy sugar cane at the famer's market. It is soooo good. Now that you reminded me I might have to make my way up to Buford in the next few days.

Hecho in Mexico is what I look for when it comes to Coke!

IMAG1608.jpg

This is one of the best threads I have seen on the ODT. This made me start picking up everything we have to eat/drink in our home and look for HFCS. When I picked up the grenadine and compared it to what real grenadine is supposed to be, it truly surprised me. Primary ingredient in grenadine is supposed to be pomegranate juice, but the store bought stuff has HFCS as the main ingredient.

I blame all of you. I hate coke. Rarely drink the stuff in the first place. If by chance i drink a soft drink it's a sprite because it has less of the syrup taste. Today i bought and drank two of the Made in Mexico cokes while i was at work because of this thread and the non stop talking about how delicious they are.

Back
Top Bottom