• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hiking North Georgia

I always recommend Hickory Creek Trail in the Cohutta Wilderness for an intro to what the Cohuttas have to offer. If you start on the SW end, it's under 2 miles to the Conasauga River, and there's a good camping area there. If you continue on, it's maybe another two miles to Bray Field, which is a popular camping area.

The trail itself is rated easy to moderate. My daughter's have been on it twice with me, coming in from the SW trailhead and backpacking down to the Conasauga River, where we make camp. They first did it when they were 5 and 8.

I would recommend picking up a trail map at REI or they can sometimes be picked up at the store in Cisco, before heading into the Cohutta Wilderness. I do recommend getting them at REI though just to be safe.

I have this book that details 50 hiking trails around north GA. We are trying to knock them all out, and there are some really good ones. I keep it in my hiking pack for reference.

I hiked Raven Cliff Falls a few weeks ago, and so did 75 other people lol. It's hard to find a secluded trail these days.

Explorer's Guide 50 Hikes in the North Georgia Mountains

I'm looking for a good hiking trail. I've done the Springer Mountain, Blood Mountain, Neel's Gap thing. Done Raven Cliffs Falls, and Amicalola Falls. Done Chickamauga Creek Trail and a few others. I want something that's not too strenuous and gets me the hell away from everyone, and preferably something with a creek or river nearby. I'd like to hike in about 4 or 5 miles, camp for a couple of days, and hike back out. Anywhere in north Georgia is fine. Any good suggestions?

Is blood mountain a strenuous hike? Obviously it depends on fitness level but generally speaking

Alum Cave Trailhead to Mt Leconte Shelter to icewater springs shelter to Newfound Gap. Hitchhike back down the hill to your car.

Everyone should do that walk once.

Is blood mountain a strenuous hike? Obviously it depends on fitness level but generally speaking
I would call it strenuous, and the last time I hiked it was about 20 years ago. From the south side, going up, is a fairly straight climb. The trail winds just a bit, but not nearly as much as the backside. From the top, going north and down the back side of the mountain, it is a series of switchbacks, but still fairly strenuous in my book.

Back
Top Bottom