• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Holster for backpacking?

I’ve tried a thigh holster, it seemed to work okay. I don’t see myself using one for hiking though. IIRC the thigh rig I had a while back rubbed my leg a bit raw when were were working at deer camp.

There are a bunch of attachments and options for this Alien holster. I bought the paddle to go with it so I can switch to a OWB when the pack is off or I am not hiking. There are IWB plates, chest rigs, etc that you can switch the shell out on. I’ll play around with location, but I just put it on the strap where the manufacturer showed it in the packaging. You can orient the gun any way you want on the base.

I noticed a tear in my old pack after the last trip, so it’s on its way back to Osprey for repairs today. Picked up a smaller Gregory Zulu for the weekender coming up that comes in Friday. Like my other pack, it has pockets on the waist belt, so there is not much room for a holster.
Not a thigh rig. A mid drop. Thigh rigs are for 13 year old airsofters

Does a chest rig stay in place well or move around? What about with a backpack on over it? I usually carry OWB when camping/hiking/trout fishing as I'm not as worried about being concealed up in the mountains.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yes, the HPG (Hill People Gear) Kit bags stay in place. The are not your typical h-harness deals. They are made for concealed carry, carrying items on your body that you want to keep on you if you need to drop your pack. These guys know what they're doing with their designs. People use them while running and they stay put. I have one that I use for SAR and I carry a pack as well. The harness is by far the most comfortable setup and I am a self professed gear whore, with thousands of dollars spent over the last 10-15 years on USA made gear.

Carrying a pistol on your backpack, especially on the shoulder strap is inconvenient. It is going to move around, put extra weight to one side, and have to be taken off when you drop your pack. Carrying in a HPG setup is a lot more convenient, safer, and easy to draw from if the need arises.

These are not my pictures but gives you an idea of how they are set up with stuff inside and the back mesh harness. Did I mention that they are made in the USA? ASG-1704-CHEST-04a-r-768x1024.jpg hpg2.jpeg.jpg

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1

The site is worth a peak. Some of the kit bags can be used with a holster and the brothers are avid outdoorsmen. They design and test their gear. The kit.bags are made by first spear, iirc.

The only issue I can see with this is if your firearm has a ND for any reason, where are the firearm has an ND its own or you trip and fall and the firearm happens to discharge (it will either be pointed LT or RT), it would be good for anyone in that bullets line of travel.

I can see these be great for other uses. Just a thought.

Great photos provided above!

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only issue I can see with this is if your firearm has a ND for any reason, where are the firearm has an ND its own or you trip and fall and the firearm happens to discharge (it will either be pointed LT or RT), it would be good for anyone in that bullets line of travel.

I can see these be great for other uses. Just a thought.

Great photos provided above!

Respectfully
Chris

I can understand that, but I dont carry a P320, so....

The thing I like about the kit bag is the pistol pocket is in the back and its smooth with molle cuts and soft velcro lining. It can be rigged with a holster or the trigger guard cover to mitigate risk or something fuggin with the trigger.

I can understand that, but I dont carry a P320, so....

The thing I like about the kit bag is the pistol pocket is in the back and its smooth with molle cuts and soft velcro lining. It can be rigged with a holster or the trigger guard cover to mitigate risk or something fuggin with the trigger.

Not sure about carrying a 320, I carry Glock’s. Gun doesn’t matter and that doesn’t need to be discussed at this point.

“Holster and it’s configuration” is all about what is comfortable for you in whatever your wearing as well as you being comfortable in the environment you find yourself in.

Holsters don’t matter which type is go for anyone else but you as what works for someone else may or may not work for you. All suggestions serve as recommendations.

I wish you all the best in your quest to locate what works well for you.

The practical side of me says order all of your holsters off of Amazon, that way you can try them all out for up to typically 30 days and return the ones you don’t want free of charge if you have prime. I do that with my hiking boots. This way I can try everything on as far as fit, then I return the ones that I need to return.

Back
Top Bottom