• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Home garage air compressor suggestions?

Cadcom

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
506   0
Reaction score
I am looking to buy an air compressor to use on truck projects at the house. The air tools I will be using mostly are an impact wrench, ratchet, disc sander and a cut off wheel. Does anyone have one that they would recommend? I have been looking at 30 ish gallon tanks with 1.6 hp or so motors. I would like to keep it in the $400 - $500 range.

Just depends on how often you're going to be running those items, how many cfm they require and if the compressor you're looking at can keep up. If I had to buy a new one, Id probably start at Northerntool and go overkill on the tank size. Im still running a Devilbiss from the 1960's.

image.jpeg
I am looking to buy an air compressor to use on truck projects at the house. The air tools I will be using mostly are an impact wrench, ratchet, disc sander and a cut off wheel. Does anyone have one that they would recommend? I have been looking at 30 ish gallon tanks with 1.6 hp or so motors. I would like to keep it in the $400 - $500 range.
Wanna trade for mine? It sounds about perfect for you, I'm not using it.

The bigger the tank the better.

Keep lookin' on CL and feebay, they get listed all the time by people who buy them for one project or thought they were going to use it more than they did and now need to get rid of it.

Vols law, to know how much air is in reserve in your tank, use this formula..

30 gal tank x .143 = 4.02 CFM AT 100 psi, IF YOU YOU TURN THE PRESSURE UP YOU GET LESS AIR....

Vols law you can have pressure, or have volume, more pressure = less CFM....

just information from years of sizing systems...

I got by with a 4.5 hp 30 gal tank for a while, but you constantly have to stop working for a sander or anything that requires sustained use.

Its all about the cfm of the tool and the compressor and how long your set up can sustain it.

Bought a 60 gallon 5 hp belt drive just like this. I don't have to stop and wait on it catch up very often. Its also vertical so it takes up less space.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ingersoll-rand-5-hp-air-compressor-60-gal?cm_vc=-10005

I got by with a 4.5 hp 30 gal tank for a while, but you constantly have to stop working for a sander or anything that requires sustained use.

Its all about the cfm of the tool and the compressor and how long your set up can sustain it.

Bought a 60 gallon 5 hp belt drive just like this. I don't have to stop and wait on it catch up very often. Its also vertical so it takes up less space.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ingersoll-rand-5-hp-air-compressor-60-gal?cm_vc=-10005

I was hoping to stay away from the 230v stuff but I think I'll have to go that route. Thanks for all the info everyone.

Minimum 60 gallon tank. If you have access to another air tank, plumb it in series with the compressor. The more volumn of air the better when running sanders etc.
a 240 volt compressor will run cheaper on your electric bill. Ohms law -= double your voltage = cuts your amp draw in half.
Higher amp draw is what runs your power bill up.

Back
Top Bottom