Home garage air compressor suggestions?

I will not be using this enough to worry to much about energy costs as I will only use it on weekends. I have a few rusted areas I need to cut out on my K5 and then weld in and grind down. If the compressor runs low on air then I just drink a beer until it fills back up. I do want something that can bust 40 year old suspension bolts off as I add a new spring kit and an air ratchet for the smaller stuff. I would rather pay a little extra and get something that will last and i can use to build a deck or paint a kids bike or something from time to time. I am not opposed to using some electric tools if they will do the job.

For those uses I would go with the smaller compressor, its not worth the xtra initial cost imo. breaking old large bolts loose with an electric impact will be difficult unless its a 3/4" in my experience. a sawzall cuts right through the u bolts though .
Must post pics of working after several beers! :tea: (yeah I know those are coffee , closest they got)

While Amps drop, Watts remains the same and that's what you pay for. Look at your bill. The only saving is in efficiency and smaller wire. You just don't get free electricity¡

Not that any of this has anything really to do with Cadcom Cadcom question, but Watts are the determined by multiplying amps X voltage X power factor. You double your voltage, your amp draw is cut in half. So therefore your watts change. Your power bill is figured in kilowatts. Each 1000 watts = 1 kilowatt.

Not that any of this has anything really to do with Cadcom Cadcom question, but Watts are the determined by multiplying amps X voltage X power factor. You double your voltage, your amp draw is cut in half. So therefore your watts change. Your power bill is figured in kilowatts. Each 1000 watts = 1 kilowatt.
See PM

I was only referring to the incorrect notion that you supposedly reduce your electric cost by going to 240VAC. You don't since Volts X Amps = Watts.

I understand. I was not implying the electric cost would be reduced, only that it would conserve compressed air since someone made the comment about the sanders being more continuous and running the air pressure down more often.

Uprights take up less space
Cast iron pumps and belt drives seem to last the longest
I had a Husky at work that wouldn't quit in the $400-500 range I believe

Sub'd for info later. I like the Ingersoll Rand units at Tractor Supply from their specs. We have three 350hp IR compressors at work and they run great, its the only reason I really looked at them. They are quite a bit more than $500 though...

unless you plan on getting into autobody
you could probably squeak by with a reg.
rinky dink homeowner style compressor.

get a good dewalt/makita angle grinder
before spending money on an air powered
grinder/cutoff pliance(they are way too
slow and underpowered)

unless you plan on getting into autobody
you could probably squeak by with a reg.
rinky dink homeowner style compressor.

get a good dewalt/makita angle grinder
before spending money on an air powered
grinder/cutoff pliance(they are way too
slow and underpowered)
I disagree with this totally. I have a crap residential style compressor. You can use air tools with it, but my god its annoying that it cuts on every minute as it cannot supply enough CFM to operate the tools properly. They don't last that long with alot of use either.

In regards to an angle grinder, if your cutting sheet metal on a car patching or repairing a small area, and angle grinder is the worse, most cumbersome tool to use. Slower and under powered is OK as log as the job calls for it. you can get more precision control out of smaller pneumatic tools. There are "too much tool for the job" scenarios that happen all the time. I mean, that is like using a 1/2 drive ratchet for a 5mm bolt. Sure, with adapters it would work, but your chances of ****ing up the the fastener increase greatly.

If you work on things alot, good tools make life SOOOOOO much nicer. Hell, I probably have 40 different syle flat head screw drivers alone.

Back
Top Bottom