• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Horrible gas mileage

Tusker6N

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
77   0
Reaction score
I have a thing for crunching numbers every now and then.

2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 with 275,000 miles has an average gas mileage of 13 mpg over its life (according to the display).

That means that its cost about $41,000 in gas so far and will cost about $5,000 more to get to 300,000 miles.

Its my wife's vehicle and the Durango needs to die. Its taking bullets from my guns.

I have a thing for crunching numbers every now and then.

2000 Dodge Durango 5.9 with 275,000 miles has an average gas mileage of 13 mpg over its life (according to the display).

That means that its cost about $41,000 in gas so far and will cost about $5,000 more to get to 300,000 miles.

Its my wife's vehicle and the Durango needs to die. Its taking bullets from my guns.

Keep filling that thing up! Add in the cost of fuel, insurance and payment on a new one. Even if a new one gets twice the mileage it will make that $41,000 over 17 years look tame.

buy a diesel.... 05 durmax crew cab 4x4 almost 400k on it. 17 to 18 stop and go 24 hwy, and if i keep it under 60 mph on the hwy, 26 to 28.
i rarely get 26 to 28 :becky:
maybe try a tuner, you can get some improvements on it,maybe not much....but some. a buddy went from 12 ish to 15 on a 6.0 gas 2500 with a tuner.

Here's something no one ever considers about the cost of a new vehicle

The depreciation on a new vehicle cost more than the gas

Unless you get a Prius , the fuel cost on any vehicle is always going to be a major part of the expense

A V-8 (I assume your Durango is a 8) 4wd (why would anyone get a 2wd SUV?) vehicle is gonna get about the same mpg

My 04 expedition gets 11.5 in town and 16 on the interstate

My brother recently bought a 17 Chevy 4wd Silverado and he claims he gets 22, which is exactly double what he got with his 08 crew cab 4wd 3/4 ton Silverado

All you Yota do is spend $40k for a new car to save some $$ on gas

Your gas mileage is in the normal range for that size gas burner truck.

You can improve it a touch through different driving technique, but that's about it.

If you want fuel economy, get an econobox, not a pickup.

Despite me hating the gas pump cost. Its nice not having an auto payment (for the past 12 years). It has definitely earned its keep and i will continue to keep it running.

The latest thing I've done to it is clean the throttle body and replace the IAC valve due to stalling at idle.

Way cheaper than buying a new vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom