• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hot Bluing-Tips and Pics

I use Bruce Weeks myself. I love his work. Id recomend him to anyone. He only charges about 165.00 a gun to refinish wood and metal.Before and after of my grandpas 1920ish shotgun Bruce restored.

before.jpgafter.jpg

Wow, Bruce does some great work! that Marlin is quite a transformation!! So is Grandpa's shotgun!! will defiantly keep him in mind if I start a rifle size project!

Here is one I just finished. It is a Springfield Range Officer that has had a ton of work done to it. Its been built for a very specific purpose, one handed target (bullseye) shooting.
It is a fine pistol that is extremely accurate, so I figured it deserved a nice finish. It was done using the same hot blue recipe as all the guns in this thread.

wad6.jpg
wad12.jpg
wad14.jpg

Last edited:
Mark the checkering you do is really gorgeous and the finishes you do are exceptional. The goal, at least for me to aspire to that level. Did you do the barrel work?

These are typically a hard fit process and not too many regular guys can accomplish that.

Mark the checkering you do is really gorgeous and the finishes you do are exceptional. The goal, at least for me to aspire to that level. Did you do the barrel work?

These are typically a hard fit process and not too many regular guys can accomplish that.

Thanks RRD,

I picked this gun up here on the trader, when I did, I ordered a Kart barrel for it, and Ive already got the lug cutter to fit it, but I put the stock gun in the ransom rest and it was shooting about 3" groups at 50 yards. I decided to see what I could do with the stock barrel. Springfield NM barrels are actually pretty good, (they just don't bother to properly fit them).

So I replaced the bushing with a Kart gunsmith fit thick flange bushing, Replaced the cast slide stop with an EGW oversize pin and squared the barrel hood to the breechface, and finish reemed the chamber. The over size slide stop pin gave me good solid lockup on the lower lugs and the bushing and proper breechface contact keeps it repeatable. not quite a "hard fit" but you can feel it lock up as it goes into battery.

The gun will now shoot 2" 5 shot groups and has shot several 1.5" or less. That's pretty darn good for a .45 pistol, and probably the limit of my ammo, so Im going to go with that, and save the Kart barrel for the next project.

Well Mark that is about as close to a hard fit match barrel you can get without the hard fit. 2"-1.5" groups at 50 yards for a 1911 pistol is spectacular. That's some great work sir.

Back
Top Bottom