• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hot Bluing-Tips and Pics

Beautiful work as usual! Specially like the TC!

I'm getting the hang of this. That T/C is a very handsome gun. I hadn't seen that type of sight system on any other T/C before.

That's one heck of a great looking 1917, nice job. Great pistol IMO, and fun to shoot. Is that a keeper or for someone else?

It was dad's and handed down. It's a special revolver to me.

Beautiful work as usual, RRD!

Thank you sir, I appreciate the kind word.

This is a great thread RRD! Having used the same hot blue process now several times, I can say that all your tips are spot on and very helpful to anyone thinking of trying this themselves.
The Blindhogg process is very easy to do, and the results can be spectacular as we see by the fine examples you posted. Ive done hot blue and Cerekote, and they both take about an equal investment of time and effort. So whenever Im working with carbon steel, I always choose the hot blue for the more traditional good looks, even if it is less durable.

Thanks for taking the time to make this post.

This is a great thread RRD! Having used the same hot blue process now several times, I can say that all your tips are spot on and very helpful to anyone thinking of trying this themselves.
The Blindhogg process is very easy to do, and the results can be spectacular as we see by the fine examples you posted. Ive done hot blue and Cerekote, and they both take about an equal investment of time and effort. So whenever Im working with carbon steel, I always choose the hot blue for the more traditional good looks, even if it is less durable.

Thanks for taking the time to make this post.

Mark,

Thanks, I hope it will help those who want to attempt this... I'm a sucker for old school blue steel and nice wood. It's a timeless look that never grows old for me.

Subscribed, will be trying this in the next day or two. Will post before and after pics.

Quick question, if things go terribly wrong, will a competent refinisher be able to straighten my failed attempt out?

Subscribed, will be trying this in the next day or two. Will post before and after pics.

Quick question, if things go terribly wrong, will a competent refinisher be able to straighten my failed attempt out?

The surface prep is where your challenges will be. The hot bluing is pretty basic stuff, not really difficult, in fact once you get the hang of it you will never have a gun blued again.

Keep sharp angles sharp and rounds, round. Don't funnel screw holes etc.

Whatcha planning on re-finishing?

The surface prep is where your challenges will be. The hot bluing is pretty basic stuff, not really difficult, in fact once you get the hang of it you will never have a gun blued again.

Keep sharp angles sharp and rounds, round. Don't funnel screw holes etc.

Whatcha planning on re-finishing?

Two revolvers...a Dan Wesson and a High Standard Sentinel.

Back
Top Bottom