• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

House to house searches

I'm glad to hear that. I lived in NJ and was arrested at the Newark airport. I was charged with a firearms related crime that amounted to a felony. The charges against me were bogus, but the laws were so numerous and so confusing that the police couldn't even decipher them. I secured a great lawyer, and provided proof that my actions were 100% legal. Charges were dropped with apologies from the court, but I may not have been so lucky if I had not had a thorough understanding of the law. A perfect illustration of why you MUST know the law.

I agree that people must research and know the laws if they wish to ensure they don't violate the laws. I also agree that sometimes LEOs don't know or understand all the laws. I'm not sure what that has to do with this discussion though.

I agree that people must research and know the laws if they wish to ensure they don't violate the laws. I also agree that sometimes LEOs don't know or understand all the laws. I'm not sure what that has to do with this discussion though.

You were implying via a previous statement that firearms enthusiasts are rarely, if ever vilified by leos. I was singled out, and was immediately guilty in their eyes as I possessed certain types of sporting goods that they deemed dangerous...regardless the law.

It shows how opening your home up to a search invites trouble where it isn't. It's about minimizing risk. It's why I have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, and why I carry a gun where legal.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear that. I lived in NJ and was arrested at the Newark airport. I was charged with a firearms related crime that amounted to a felony. The charges against me were bogus, but the laws were so numerous and so confusing that the police couldn't even decipher them. I secured a great lawyer, and provided proof that my actions were 100% legal. Charges were dropped with apologies from the court, but I may not have been so lucky if I had not had a thorough understanding of the law. A perfect illustration of why you MUST know the law.

Sounds like you had a good attorney as well. I'm guessing he was a firm supporter of 2A rights.

You were implying via a previous statement that firearms enthusiasts are rarely, if ever vilified by leos. I was singled out, and was immediately guilty in their eyes as I possessed certain types of sporting goods that they deemed dangerous...regardless the law.

It shows how opening your home up to a search invites trouble where it isn't. It's about minimizing risk. It's why I have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, and why I carry a gun where legal.

Would you like a list of people who denied searches of their homes/cars/selves who then had the justice system screw them over too? If so, I'm sure a quick google search could "show how [not] opening your home up to a search invites trouble" too...

Would you like a list of people who denied searches of their homes/cars/selves who then had the justice system screw them over too? If so, I'm sure a quick google search could "show how [not] opening your home up to a search invites trouble" too...

I'm sure there are instances where turning into a human doormat is preferable to standing up for your rights, but I prefer the latter.

Just a quick note to give you an idea of how ludicrous NJ firearms law is. Possession of a slingshot, yes a slingshot carries an 18 month prison term.

Back
Top Bottom