• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

House to house searches

If it were your buddy, he would probably take your word for it.

I would hope so, but if he was told to by his superiors then I would let only officers I knew personally in. Looking for a person would take all of 5 minutes in my house. There is no need to open anything smaller than a closet when looking for a person.

Maybe for some folks, but there is more to lose than there is to gain for an innocent private citizen to consent to a search of their home.

I had two Acworth Sheriff's Office deputies come to the house a couple years ago. Tell me what I lost by letting them come inside to talk please (which exposed them to the house just as much as if they were "searching" that area of the house for another person).

That would be your best bet. I would feel bad if anyone's dog was shot, because it was trying to protect its owner, or just being a dog and barking/howling. You have some bad LEOs, not denying that.

It's not a bad LEO that shoots a dog he thinks will bite him and human safety always trumps the life of an animal. I would rather avoid the whole situation.

I had two Acworth Sheriff's Office deputies come to the house a couple years ago. Tell me what I lost by letting them come inside to talk please (which exposed them to the house just as much as if they were "searching" that area of the house for another person).

In your situation maybe nothing. What if John Smith, Bostonian, father, and IDPA competitor had taken advantage of the day at home to do some reloading for an upcoming match. John had a couple pounds of powder out on the table, some AR's, a few pistols, recipe books for pet loads. John allows officers to come into his home and they see this setup on the table. What types of potential trouble could he face at a time when emotions cloud judgment, and cops are on a manhunt?

I've lived in the Northeast, and gun owners are treated like criminals anyway. Any excuse to label you a gun nut is used, and in the case of possessing several thousand bullets, "assault rifles", and several cans of gunpowder, letting them in will bring more harm than good.

You did not lose anything because you invited them and did not give them carte blanche to search every room. You controlled the environment in which the conversation took place.

That is a little different from "step aside we need to search your home".

In your situation maybe nothing. What if John Smith, Bostonian, father, and IDPA competitor had taken advantage of the day at home to do some reloading for an upcoming match. John had a couple pounds of powder out on the table, some AR's, a few pistols, recipe books for pet loads. John allows officers to come into his home and they see this setup on the table. What types of potential trouble could he face at a time when emotions cloud judgment, and cops are on a manhunt?
I've lived in the Northeast, and gun owners are treated like criminals anyway. Any excuse to label you a gun nut is used, and in the case of possessing several thousand bullets, "assault rifles", and several cans of gunpowder letting them in will bring more harm than good.

I've lived in California, Illinois, Missouri, Texas, Georgia, Florida, and New York. I've had zero problems so far with my "gun nut" nature from any law enforcement.

- - - Updated - - -

You did not lose anything because you invited them and did not give them carte blanche to search every room. You controlled the environment in which the conversation took place.

That is a little different from "step aside we need to search your home".

What problem would I have had if they had seen every room and closet in the house? (which would be what they search if they were looking for a person)

I've lived in California, Illinois, Missouri, Texas, Georgia, Florida, and New York. I've had zero problems so far with my "gun nut" nature from any law enforcement.

- - - Updated - - -

What problem would I have had if they had seen every room and closet in the house? (which would be what they search if they were looking for a person)

So your argument is now "if you decline search, you have something to hide"?

I'm glad to hear that. I lived in NJ and was arrested at the Newark airport. I was charged with a firearms related crime that amounted to a felony. The charges against me were bogus, but the laws were so numerous and so confusing that the police couldn't even decipher them. I secured a great lawyer, and provided proof that my actions were 100% legal. Charges were dropped with apologies from the court, but I may not have been so lucky if I had not had a thorough understanding of the law. A perfect illustration of why you MUST know the law.

Back
Top Bottom