• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

House Weighs Bill To Make Gun Permits Valid Across State Lines

Well, this definitely has the potential to screw us. Will all states be forced to adhere to the most stringent state laws? Will there be mandatory training to satisfy all states' requirements? How about states that dont issue permits or for which permits are not required?

Good idea, if implemented properly.

We'll probaby "Get" a Federal CCW Bill that has arbitrary and strict requirements for obtaining a CCW. The NRA would likely back such a law quietly while flooding the membership with letters requesting money to "fight" against the Federal CCW Bill. I can see it now. The work of honest people like GCO will be for naught.

Well, this definitely has the potential to screw us. Will all states be forced to adhere to the most stringent state laws? Will there be mandatory training to satisfy all states' requirements? How about states that dont issue permits or for which permits are not required?

Good idea, if implemented properly.

Good point! Definitely needs a good amount of scrutiny.

I thought we already had a f n licence we called it a constitutional amendment but when you drive across a state border you read English differently

i think it is a back door way to impose more restrictions upon gun owners.

most likely... to keep it uniform... there will be stricter conditions of carry (especially places where you can carry), how you can carry, what you can carry, etc.

laws governing issuance... ie some misdemeanor charges that will still allow you to obtain a firearms license may be lifted... meaning some of us that have a license and have been responsible gun owners for the entire time could all of sudden no longer be eligible.

how would you like Georgia to incorporate laws like north carolina? cant take a gun in a place that serves alcohol for consumption... signs have force of law.... must inform state <--- this state makes carrying virtually useless.

I think it is a standard pro gun control idea. It looks great on the surface... but in the end it will most likely be more restrictive.

Scares me. Currently our Ga legislature is reasonably pro gun. Once, there is a federal law which ties all the states together, the feds have their hands in the state requirements for who, where, how, etc. firearms can be carried. I see nothing here but the camel's nose in the tent of federal control of your gun rights. Leave well enough alone. "Well enough" isn't perfect, but it a lot better than bringing Mass, NY, Ill, CA, etc. into the mix with us.

Scares me. Currently our Ga legislature is reasonably pro gun. Once, there is a federal law which ties all the states together, the feds have their hands in the state requirements for who, where, how, etc. firearms can be carried. I see nothing here but the camel's nose in the tent of federal control of your gun rights. Leave well enough alone. "Well enough" isn't perfect, but it a lot better than bringing Mass, NY, Ill, CA, etc. into the mix with us.
Very well said. Keep the Federal Government out of it. Go back, dig out your College PoliSci 201 textbook and read the chapter on "Federalism." We in Georgia have everything to lose and nothing to win with such legislation. I am a member of a couple of forums with nationwide membership. There are a lot of supposedly pro-gun people on those forums who will tell you right quick that states like Georgia have gun laws that are much too lax. It scares some of those people to death that two members of this forum can meet in the Kroger parking lot and exchange a few pieces of paper with pictures of dead presidents for a gun with absolutely no oversight from the govt. They also can't believe that we can get a carry license just by passing a background check. Remember, these are pro-gun people. So-called pro-gun people in some of those states would gladly embrace Federal legislation that is much more restrictive than what we have in Georgia.

....It scares some of those people to death that two members of this forum can meet in the Kroger parking lot and exchange a few pieces of paper with pictures of dead presidents for a gun with absolutely no oversight from the govt. They also can't believe that we can get a carry license just by passing a background check. Remember, these are pro-gun people. So-called pro-gun people in some of those states would gladly embrace Federal legislation that is much more restrictive than what we have in Georgia.

Nope. They are "pro my gun" people. You on the other hand probably shouldn't be allowed to have a firearm. They'll decide who can and can't have a firearm. These are same people the NRA panders to.

Back
Top Bottom