• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do I figure out if I can shoot on my property?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumis

Default rank <50 posts Lifetime Supporter
Outdoorsman
7   0
Reaction score
I live in northeast Gwinnett county and I was wondering what would be the best way to figure out if/how I can recreationally shoot firearms on my property.

Do I have to be greater than a certain distance from the road? From the neighbors? Outside of certain city limits? Can I get noise complaints?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Mag dump then grab a beer and wait....

giphy.gif

DNR sets rules about distances to roadways and structures, city, county, state have ordinances on locations and topography of your property and the surrounding properties will all come in to play as you must verify backstop and it’s level of safety as it pertains to you shooting and the safety of those in the vicinity or range of fire, so we’re kinda hard pressed to provide any advice besides use common sense and follow practical firearms safety

For Gwinnett, from separate (and not necessarily) reliable sources, you can shoot on your own land in any unincorporated areas beyond what's specified in State law. You can't shoot across a public road or within 50 yards of a road.

Common sense does apply though. If you're in a densely populated area such as a subdivision, or you're firing in an unsafe manner, you could be indulging in reckless conduct. Use a berm.

Georgia's growing and a lot of the new population are from *those* kinds of places, so if you do figure out a way to shoot on your property, it's likely you will have someone complain, if not to you, to the police. Plan accordingly.

If you're minded, it's worth contacting the Sheriff's Office for guidance.

[Not a lawyer, don't even play one on TV, so don't treat this as legal advice]

I live in northeast Gwinnett county and I was wondering what would be the best way to figure out if/how I can recreationally shoot firearms on my property.

Do I have to be greater than a certain distance from the road? From the neighbors? Outside of certain city limits? Can I get noise complaints?

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Are you in a municipality? Any deed restrictions?
If not, 50 yards from a public road and in a safe manner.
If neighbors complain about violation of any noise ordinance that will be between you and the responding officer.

Thanks for the answers guys. I'm currently on 1 acre of land and only about 1/5th of it is more than 50 yards from a road. Don't plan to be shooting on this property.

Asking in advance as I plan to buy some land/build a house in the future and am trying to figure out how space I would need to comfortably shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom