• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How do you pick a caliber?

Chuckdog excellent post.I think the .280 AI would be a great choice. While some improved cartridges show more gain than others the 280 is a winner.

I think I have decided to go with the Whelen for the 06. I plan to make additional Golden era sporters at least a Mauser a Swiss in 6.5x55 , an Argentine in 7x57 and a Krag. I may just have to start making 06 sporters in different calibers until I have all bases covered. I do want to make at least one .416 Rigby probably on a Mauser with express sights set up for safari.Talk about $$$.

I will be doing everything I can myself. So having barrels chambered and put on and blueing will need to be done by a smith.I will do the polishing, smoothing to take the utilitarian edge off. I am not going to have military surplus actions blueprinted but I will lap the bolt lugs for even contact. I will install a aftermarket trigger, scope. I will do the stock work myself. Not planning to start from a blank, at least not right away. I may give checkering a try.

22.jpg
This would be a favorite toy, 22 Hornet with set triggers.

I have this book and I reference it often: American Ammunition and Ballistics by Edward Matunas.

It basically goes through every caliber and evaluates it (partially based on the author's opinion, but also based on testing velocities, etc). I'm sure there are more like it, and this one is old, probably out-of-date, but I like it.

Back
Top Bottom