• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How hard is it to assemble an AK-74 from a parts kit?

Bulldawg165

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
29   0
Reaction score
I found what appears to be a good deal on an AK-74 parts kit, and all that it is missing (from what I can tell) is a barrel and a "receiver." It's in stock so I had a few quick questions:

1) Is there anything else I'm missing that I would need to complete the build
2) How hard would the barrel and receiver be to obtain in this market?
3) How hard would it be to do the build myself? My experience includes detail stripping a glock (yeah... not hard I know) and detail stripping an S&W revolver to polish the trigger mechanism. I'm ok with spending several hours on it, but if I'm going to need special tools/equipment to do it right then I may have to pass.

Here's the link to the kit: http://whatacountry.com/bulgarian-ak-74-parts-kit.aspx

As always, thanks in advance for everyone's help!

It will be about $400-500 in tools and presses. Unless you plan on doing a lot hire a local smith. They should charge $350-450

I would start by researching the build it yourself section at the akforum. Receivers can be had from companies like 74u llc or nodak spud. If you are content with a US made barrel they should not be hard to acquire it may be a bit more difficult and expensive to find a Euro or Russian one. Chrome lined barrel I would say is a must if you are going to run surplus ammo as it is corrosive.

I definitely don't have the money to buy multiple kits, and I live in a small apartment so any major tools/equipment appear to be out of the question as well. Oh well, guess I'm relegated to waiting until the waffen works or interarms 74s come back in stock.

Thanks for the help guys, even though it wasn't the answer I was hoping for. I definitely appreciate it.

There is a video of a college aged kid building one in his bedroom. He had a drill, drill press, dremel, 12 ton press, and the guages. I watched the hour long video and he made it look easy, he just said to buy complete receivers.

Back
Top Bottom