• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How loud is your handgun suppressor?

I think the circumstances of where and when you fire your suppressed centerfire pistol with subsonic ammo will
matter a lot. Outdoors in the daytime, across the meadow, (a meadow where you have shot other guns before)-- in such a circumstance your pistol would sound BB gun quiet. Like a C02 powered .177 pellet pistol.

But if you fire that same gun with the same ammo through the same suppressor in your basement, it will sound louder.
If you fire it in your backyard at midnight when your neighbors are sleeping, it will sound loud and you will wonder if you woke them up.

Generally speaking, I think popping a balloon or blowing up a small plastic or paper bag and then smashing it with your other hand to create a popping sound is a fair approximation of the noise is suppressed centerfire pistol gives you.
Or hammering a nail into soft wood, with the wood being well supported and doesn't rattle upon impact of the hammer.

Consider also The sound the bullet will make when it impacts the backstop. That can be substantial I often shoot a suppressed rifle into a stack of newspapers.
At close range, the impact sound is blended in with the gunshot sound and I don't notice it. But if I put that stack of newspapers out 100 yards it's quite noticeable-- first I get the bang where I'm standing, and then a second later I hear the thumping sound coming back to me.

My uzi sounds like Soviet's gun in the video above, while my beretta 92fs is much louder using the same can and ammo. My ARC22 is really quiet, it seems that i hear the action of the weapon clicking louder than the bullet. Not sure what any of mine sound like if i'm not the one shooting them

I just attended a silencer / suppressor demonstration organize by the tea party and held at the VFW post in Cumming Georgia.

The .22 bolt action rifle with a screw-on-muzzle silencer was BB gun quiet, BUT I think it was loaded with CCI "quiet" ammo.

The 5" barreled Ruger semi auto pistol with the same ammo was almost as quiet --certainly quiet enough that if you shot it in your backyard nobody inside the house would hear Probably not even if the windows were open.

The lever action gun chambered .38 / .357 was very quiet with 38 special wadcutters, probably 158 grain bullets moving at about 800 ft./s . That was about the same as the suppressed .22 pistol. Similar to shooting a CO2-powered air soft or pellet gun.

The .300 Blackout AR rifle with 200 gr. subsonic ammo was impressive, too. I "think" it sounded like the 38 special lever action carbine suppressed, but I'm going by memory here --nobody had a decibel meter.
I'd guess-estimate it was as loud as manually slapping two soft-cover books or catalogs or phone books together.

The loudest gun was a Glock 19 shooting 149 gr. subsonic rounds. The can was pretty short-- only maybe 5" long. That gun was still "hearing safe" in my opinion (when used outdoors), but it was loud enough that I think people could hear it up to 100 yards away in the woods, and people inside a building with closed glass windows might hear the sound if they were sitting in a quiet environment ( not watching TV not playing music loud, not playing video games with all kinds of digital sound affects ...)

Back
Top Bottom