• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

How many of your can hold 1 MOA from your typical shooting position while hunting?

Well over 95% of all deer I have ever shot were shot with my elbow resting on my thigh, or the outside of my forearm resting on my knee. I never shoot with the elbow bone resting on the knee cap. Bone on bone isn't solid. I have made 10 yard shots and 200 yard shots using this technique. I hunt sitting on the ground more often than not, and if I'm walking and there is no tree to brace against, I take a knee and use this technique.

I have shot several deer free handed, up to 80-100 yards. I don't recommend it for everyone but some guys can shoot fairly well free handed.

I can honestly say that of all the deer I've taken (no idea how many, but well over 100) less than 1% were shot using a rest or a rail.
Bone to bone in the seated position is much more stable if you do it right.

Not even close.
Leaning against a tree or other solid rest I'm very confident and with a sub MOA rifle I'd be confident with TIME (which we seldom have during hunting) I could be within 2" of POA.
I've never taken and would never take a free hand shot at a deer. Heck I won't even shoot at them if they are moving. If I can't stop them, they get to keep on keeping on. Perhaps if I'm starving one day I'll be a little less selective.

Good post.

The only time I ever shot one moving (a deer) at more than a slow gait was with a shotgun (00 buck) within 30-50 yards and I can remember both times that happened and I got my deer.

Last edited:
I've never taken and would never take a free hand shot at a deer. Heck I won't even shoot at them if they are moving. If I can't stop them, they get to keep on keeping on. Perhaps if I'm starving one day I'll be a little less selective.

You've never shot a moving deer? In south Georgia we don't have a choice, most of the time, not if we want some deer meat. I get out in front of them, find a small opening and when they step in...you know.

You've never shot a moving deer? In south Georgia we don't have a choice, most of the time, not if we want some deer meat. I get out in front of them, find a small opening and when they step in...you know.
Yep. Ideally they would stand dead still broadside 20 yards in front of your stand but I haven't figured out how to train them to do that yet. Sometimes if you see a deer you want you don't have a choice especially during the rut. Both of the bucks I killed last year were moving at a pretty good clip. One was cold trailing a doe through a thick hardwood bottom and the other was trying to have his way with a doe at the far end of a food plot late in the evening. I shot one free hand and the other with a rest.

No way I could offhand. I can maintain MOA with a 1/2moa rifle shooting with the front of the gun on a shooting rail of my stand. Having an accurate rifle helps.

Back
Top Bottom