• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How Much Would You Pay For a True Unicorn?

upload_2018-6-2_6-6-9.jpeg

Have no idea of market price. Maybe $15 - $20k?

Automatics are fun but automatic and be able to hit what you are aiming at is bad ass.

To my total surprise, I won my unicorn!

1924_1.jpg

Here's the auction description.

"serial #2010, 22LR, 30" heavy tapered barrel with a bright excellent bore. This very rare rifle is 1 of only 12 manufactured, built at Springfield Armory in 1924 on an original Model 1922 receiver. Barrel and receiver retain 98% Springfield Armory blue. The M1 bolt has the original headless striker with single firing pin contact and the bolt body and handle remain bright, the body DC pencil-numbered to the gun on the bottom; the bolt shroud and safety retaining some excellent case colors. The checkered pistolgrip American walnut stock rates excellent with some very light handling marks and dings from honest light use, showing some light sanding marks at the rear of the butt; likely from the fitting of the original Swiss hook butt. The stock shows much original finish and also a bit of added finish and features a smooth forearm with original palm stop/sling rail with the original adjustable sling loop in place. The gun is sighted with a Winchester globe front sight with interchangeable inserts atop a BAR front sight band, as adapted by the Marine Corps, while receiver is mounted with its original Lyman 48S target sight; the top of barrel and front receiver ring are drilled & tapped for steel target blocks (not present). This rifle has 1903 bottom metal with the specially adapted palm rest base inside the magazine well. The original USMC cork ball palm rest is present and the guard has been fitted with Marine Corps Rimkunas double set triggers. The rifle is accompanied by a Springfield Research Service letter identifying the gun as a M1922 heavy barrel, sold by Springfield Armory to L.H. Reynolds of Orlando, Florida on Oct. 24, 1930 (remember they are built on 1922 actions, Brophy designates them as the model of 1924). These fine arms are cousins of their .30 caliber counterparts and were produced at Springfield Armory in a mere 15 days, the special adjustable buttplates, palm rests, front sight and sling swivel rails were turned out by the U.S.M.C. small arms arsenal and armory at Philadelphia Pa. This is a truly exceptional rifle, very rarely encountered, with only 12 ever having been produced, they are very seldom offered for public sale. [Former Burt Kellerstedt Collection] (35865-62){C&R}"

I have twin 14-year old boys that both want to go to college so...it's probably not going to happen.

But the older I get the less I care about "stuff".

But an AMT Automag in .30 carbine is on the short list...maybe I could sell all I have on gunbroker to buy a full auto maybe...

It's becoming less the guns themselves as the fun I can have with my kids shooting them.

Two young men's futures are much more important than stuff "we want". Or think we need.

I think alleycat alleycat sold me my most expensive bought unicorn.

I did trade into a French MAS 49/56 sniper cost me my x54r Vepr and I regret nothing. Just the scopes for the French sniper sell for 500+ and I got 4 mags bayonet night sights leather pouches with extra firing pins recoil springs and cleaning kit and the original leather box that holds the scope. Package is worth about $2k +/- a few bucks one of my favorites.

I think alleycat alleycat sold me my most expensive bought unicorn.

I did trade into a French MAS 49/56 sniper cost me my x54r Vepr and I regret nothing. Just the scopes for the French sniper sell for 500+ and I got 4 mags bayonet night sights leather pouches with extra firing pins recoil springs and cleaning kit and the original leather box that holds the scope. Package is worth about $2k +/- a few bucks one of my favorites.

Really?

Back
Top Bottom