• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to fly a P-51 Mustang from startup to shut down

This year at Airventure they celebrated the Corsair and there were 6 there including both F-4U and FG-1 models and when they flew over in formation it was breath taking.

Got to enjoy a presentation by Colonel Bud Anderson ( General now) as he told his story of flying “Old Crow” (first Old Crow as a P-39, then a P-51B and last was a P-51D) during WW2 in Europe and how he got some of his 16 kills.
7C5EE6A2-1627-4C2D-9C7C-642F83E60DDE.jpeg

I had the opportunity to meet colonel Don Blakeslee growing up, was my dads first father-in-law and he took me to meet him. Highly decorated p51 pilot in the war and very interesting man, they don’t make men like that anymore.
That is a once in a lifetime opportunity.👍🏻

16 kills.

That's nice.

I present to you America's leading ace from WWII flying a...wait, what was it? Uh, oh, that's right, a P-38...

24568.jpg

40 aerial kills in a P-38.

Second highest American ace of WWII?

Yeah, well, he also flew a P-38.

Thomas McGuire with 38 kills.

Long live the Lightening!

16 kills.

That's nice.

I present to you America's leading ace from WWII flying a...wait, what was it? Uh, oh, that's right, a P-38...

24568.jpg

40 aerial kills in a P-38.

Second highest American ace of WWII?

Yeah, well, he also flew a P-38.

Thomas McGuire with 38 kills.

Long live the Lightening!
Maj. Richard Bong! Love the P-38…I love ANY WW2 Fighter, Bomber, Transport, etc. The “Forked Tailed Devil“ was so revolutionary when it was rolled out. Twin supercharged engines, tricycle gear, all aluminum, a “pod“ for a fuselage, tremendous firepower and a beautiful silhouette.

Bell P-39 Aircobra is another beauty. Too bad the AAC told Bell to focus on making it a ground attack aircraft and not an interceptor as it was originally designed. It couldn't perform very well at higher altitudes without the second stage supercharger. As a ground attack aircraft, they excelled in Russian service.

1694659524698.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom