• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How to KILL Disable a Primer

I'd have thought - yeah - drop a couple of primers under oil (not gasoline) overnight. Following day, pull 'em out, swab them 'dry' and just pick out the anvil and the remains of the priming material.

I'd have thought - yeah - drop a couple of primers under oil (not gasoline) overnight. Following day, pull 'em out, swab them 'dry' and just pick out the anvil and the remains of the priming material.
You don’t even have to do all that…..just put a single drop of oil (machine oil, wd40, motor oil, any oil will work.) in the primer cup and it is done !
Don’t believe me ?? Try it …. Put a drop of oil in it and smack it with a hammer !! It will NOT detonate !
lol

You don’t even have to do all that…..just put a single drop of oil (machine oil, wd40, motor oil, any oil will work.) in the primer cup and it is done !
Don’t believe me ?? Try it …. Put a drop of oil in it and smack it with a hammer !! It will NOT detonate !
lol
Spray with Kroil if there's a worry about dropped oil not getting in the compound.

shakin head in disbelief meme.jpg

I need to disable some primers to put into Dummy Cartridges that We are going to make from some Brass 12ga Shotgun Shells from WWII. We want to Clean the Cases up put a disabled primer in, A Lead Slug and Laser Engrave the Case to make a display 12 ga Cartridge.
Thanks

To disable primers for your dummy cartridges:
  1. Gently place the primer on a hard, flat surface with the open end facing down.
  2. Take a small nail and position it in the center of the primer, directly over the firing pin indentation.
  3. Lightly tap the nail with a hammer to puncture the primer cup and render it inert.
  4. Remove the nail and inspect the primer to ensure it has been properly disabled.
  5. Discard the disabled primer in accordance with local regulations for hazardous materials.
For an extra level of safety, you can also soak the primers in oil or water for a few days before disposing of them. This will help neutralize any remaining primer compound and make them even safer to handle.

Back
Top Bottom