How to polish a blued gun please help!!

ramair6speed

Default rank <1500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
231   0
Reaction score
So I just picked up a 28-2 357 in a trade with ODT member meastt who I highly recommend great guy. So I picked it up to match my dads Dan Wesson 357 SS. I want to give it to my dad for his upcoming birthday but I'd really like to polish the blueing. My question is what is the best method and what products should I use anyone with advice thanks.

Last edited:
these are very effective

D28402_1.jpg

So I just picked up a 28-2 357 in a trade with ODT member meastt who I highly recommend great guy. So I picked it up to match my dads Dan Wesson 357 SS. I want to give it to my dad for his upcoming birthday but I'd really like to polish the blueing. My question is what is the best method and what products should I use anyone with advice thanks.

Just use some flitz and a lint free cloth. That's about as good as you can do short of a re-blue.

The M28-2 is a matt finish and is not shiny. It was designed to have a flat finish. The M28-2 was the "poor man's" M27. The M28 and the M27 are basically the same gun, but the M28-2 was made to be less expensive than the M27. Therefore, no checkering on the top strap, no grooves on the site and barrel and a flat matt finish.

If you use Flitz to polish the flat matt finish, it will get more shiny, but that is not what how it is supposed to look. I would use some cleaner, Hoppes or Prolix come to mind, put it on the finish, rub it briskly witha clean cotton cloth and it should remove most all of the dirt, grease, carbon etc, on the finish. Then wipe it down again to remove the cleaner, this may take several times, then appy Reniassance Wax to the finish. The wax will protect the finish from rust and give the finish a slightly shiny appearance. Just my opinion.

If you want to use Flitz, make sure the finish is not oily, then apply Flitz with a clean cotton cloth. Rub it in gently, NO BUFFER WHEEL, then buff out. Try and do it evenly, so there will not be places where it is more shiny than other places. Either way, use Reniassance Wax, or Johnson Paste Wax, no car wax, to protect the finish. By the way, gun oil and wax do not mix at all. Try and have the finish as free from oil or cleaner as possible.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom