• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How old were you when you first fired a gun?

****ing 12 gauge at Boy Scout camp 11 or 12. Had no clue what I was doing. I was so scared I thought it would dislocate my shoulder. Next day we did 22 targets. I was much better at that. I learned to properly shoot with Grandpa, 12 gauge again, 2 years later.

My kid is 8 and has shot BB guns, .22 LR rifles, and a 12 gauge (with assistance from Daddy). We even take his nerf guns away if he sweeps someone head or shoots without safety glasses. I wont’ start him on pistols until 13 or so, but he will have to demonstrate to be a good and safe rifle shooter by then.

8. My uncle was my influence and mentor.
Yeah my uncle was the family gun nut that turned me out . I think I was 9 or 10 maybe. Stared me out on a Ruger Single Six and a Mark1 maybe. Moved up to his M1Carbine. BTW...that was my favorite of all time for years. I think for a lot of gun guys my age the M1 Carbine was THE tactical rifle back then. Hardly anyone owned ARs back then since they were crazy expensive. And there weren't many if any AKs in this country back then.

****ing 12 gauge at Boy Scout camp 11 or 12. Had no clue what I was doing. I was so scared I thought it would dislocate my shoulder. Next day we did 22 targets. I was much better at that. I learned to properly shoot with Grandpa, 12 gauge again, 2 years later.

My kid is 8 and has shot BB guns, .22 LR rifles, and a 12 gauge (with assistance from Daddy). We even take his nerf guns away if he sweeps someone head or shoots without safety glasses. I wont’ start him on pistols until 13 or so, but he will have to demonstrate to be a good and safe rifle shooter by then.
One of the issues back then was that most of us got single barrel shotguns as birthday or Christmas gifts. And those guns didn't weigh ****. Which means that ALL that recoil was coming right back at you. I still remember a 20 gauge H&R kicking worse than my old man's Sears 12 gauge pump.

My sons?

7, I think.

Range Day 009.jpg

One of the issues back then was that most of us got single barrel shotguns as birthday or Christmas gifts. And those guns didn't weigh ****. Which means that ALL that recoil was coming right back at you. I still remember a 20 gauge H&R kicking worse than my old man's Sears 12 gauge pump.
WOW

Back
Top Bottom