HP defensive ammo for Star BM

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with trying to use defensive hollow point ammo in a Star BM pistol (a 1970's era "Colt Commander" sized version of the older and more famous full-sized Star model B)? What rounds have worked for you?
With the crazy cost and limited availability of premium HP ammo these days, I can't just buy a few boxes of various brands and bullet types that look good on paper, and test 'em in my gun.
This gun was built with 124 grain 9 x19mm FMJ ammo in mind.

My goto ammo in 9mm is 147gr HST. Never had a problem with it in my Star BM.

Since I shoot 99% suppressed I generally don't buy anything but 147gr 9mm.

I see there's this old thread from 2018.

Does anybody have any newer experience, or would just like to chime-in now for the first time?

The O.P. in that 2018 thread had to put a shim inside his pistol's magazine to get it to work reliably with any HP ammo.

I have a Star PD in .45 ACP. I haven;t found a bullet it wouldn't feed.

I don;'l know about the M. but most Stars of the era have ramped barrels which helps with loaded HP - something that is an add on for Colts.

I have 3 Star BM's (1 blued and and 2 chrome) and a Super B. I actually had them out to the range a few weeks back and each of them were fed some steel case Tula garbage, then a mag of Winchester each and finally I put a mixed mag of those two and some Hornady Critical Defense just to see how they'd do. Not a single issue from any of the 4.

Back
Top Bottom