• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

HVAC on solar only?

My main level central went out a few weeks ago. Took the repair place 2 weeks to get the part and install. I went out and bought a 10,000 btu window unit and put in back of house where Hoa can’t see. Seems like the best investment you can make to save money. I run it now most of the day instead of the central and it keeps the whole main level which is not small cool. According to the app it burns about 10 kWh a day. My electric usage for June was 33% less than the past 2 junes.

We’ll see how it goes in the extreme heat this weekend but I’ll definitely keep using it by itself or supplementing the central so it’s not funding the electric company. If I need a little boost I put the central 2 degrees lower than what it reads.

Is it possible? Yes
Can it be done on a "small solar setup feeding just a bank of batteries feeing just the HVAC"? No

Just some back of the napkin calculations:
A 2,000-square-foot home with a 3.5-ton AC would require 11-17 solar panels.

You could power a mini split AC unit or a window unit for a small area with a few panels.
Just move everyone in the home into an area the size of the average bathroom :)
3.5 ton for a 2,000 sq ft house is undersized anyways

When we lived in Hawaii we didn't have AC. Put a box fan over a tub of ice with dryer vent tube coming out. Worked well to get sleep. Had to re-freeze the tub in the morning.
I grew up in a home in Central GA with window fans and no AC, but I would not be able to survive today without an Air Conditioner :D

My main level central went out a few weeks ago. Took the repair place 2 weeks to get the part and install. I went out and bought a 10,000 btu window unit and put in back of house where Hoa can’t see. Seems like the best investment you can make to save money. I run it now most of the day instead of the central and it keeps the whole main level which is not small cool. According to the app it burns about 10 kWh a day. My electric usage for June was 33% less than the past 2 junes.

We’ll see how it goes in the extreme heat this weekend but I’ll definitely keep using it by itself or supplementing the central so it’s not funding the electric company. If I need a little boost I put the central 2 degrees lower than what it reads.
Might give this a shot. I don't mind if it's warmer during the day but I run hot at night.
Can you tell me the brand and model or a link to what you have?

Usually a central unit is much more efficient than window units .

Years ago we lived in a 800 sf house built in 1946 with no insulation in the walls .
We had three window units .

We installed an old used central unit and the electric bill dropped quite a bit .

At the house we’re in now , been there since 2001

AC unit was from 1984 according to the serial number on it .

June July and august electric bills would typically be over $400

We replaced it in 2020 with a 14 seer heat pump . Two of them actually , one for each floor , since with a two story house you’re never comfortable with only one unit .
Always too hot or too cold on one floor

Anyway , our nine of our June July or august bills have been over $210 with the new units .
And I no longer am cutting splitting and stacking and hauling firewood for the wood heater .
love the new ecobee thermostat too .

We looked at geothermal but it was just too expensive . If you have a lot of land , the geothermal is not as expensive since you can install the loops in a trench instead of drilling down and installing them vertically .

Same with solar .

All you’re doing with either one is prepaying your next 20 years of electric bills , with borrowed money at interest .

Back
Top Bottom