• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hydroseed vs sod for big rocky yard ( please help weigh in )

There is a reason you don’t see sod farms out in the woods. I’d take it, lime it and spread chicken manure over the yard and let it sit for a few weeks and then seed w fescue. You will have grass anywhere you spread chicken manure. It will smell a little gamey for a week or so but grass will grow.

I got hosed from our builder and now have a new construction house with zero grass.

We tried seeding and strawing and got zero results.

I need some opinions on buying sod Vs hydro seeding this rocky yard.

I got a quote for 10 feet around the house for around $9000 for sod and prep work , that would be fine but ….

The bad news? I have about 200 foot of front yard..

With that being said, do you guys recommending that I Harley rake the property and try hydroseeding it?

I’ve been warned (of course by sod guys ) to be careful dumping a bunch of money into seeding and getting bad results

What’s y’all’s opinion? Do sod in increments and pay out the wazoo or try hydro seeding?
View attachment 4460042
Plant more trees and have more natural area.

Get a bunch of big boulders, plant cactus...call it AZ...
Than come see about some yard art.
14B66658-C09C-4195-A1A8-4257CC921AF8.jpeg

When I built my house, I had 4 dump trucks of black topsoil brought in before they graded it for the last time. The guy on the skid steer spread it out and I took my small tractor with a 6’ root rake and went back and forth mixing the construction mix with the topsoil and getting large rocks and roots out of the soil. I had a green yard within a month after they seeded and strawed.

Wether you seed or straw, you need to loosen the soil at least 4-5”. if you can rent a power rake, that should do the ticket

Back
Top Bottom