I’m looking for a new(er) truck..

TRD Off Road or Pro-4x?

• Tacoma

Votes: 23 71.9%
  • Frontier

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters
Reading the reviews, the newer Tacoma’s and Colorado’s have a lot of complaints with the auto transmission. I wonder if it’s because they are 8 speeds? I think the new Ranger is to have a 10 speed auto.

Reading the reviews, the newer Tacoma’s and Colorado’s have a lot of complaints with the auto transmission. I wonder if it’s because they are 8 speeds? I think the new Ranger is to have a 10 speed auto.

Tacoma’s no longer have the infamous 4.0 Engine. The 3.5L motor and “Smart” transmission have not been well received.

If Ford would sell the diesel Ranger here that they've been selling for years overseas I'd be interested.

I think we are seeing some of the "benefits" of the CAFE standards. Meaning the government wanted us to have get better gas MPG. Read on the forums for several hours to help. Colorado/Canyon has issues with the 6 speed and 8 speed. (shudder and TQ's). The newer Tacoma I hear issues with the 5th/6th gear and it not know which one to be in.

Neither offers Android Auto which takes some of the crap away from the infotainment systems.
Neither offers front lockers only rear lockers just an FYI.

I would keep reading, go test drive both, and make the best choice you can.

I’ve heard of issues with the transmissions as well. Supposedly some of the new Tacoma’s have problems with the rear diffs but I’m sure that’s been addressed by now. I plan on a 6-speed manual in either truck, but you lose some of the offroad stuff the TRD offers when you opt for a manual.

At one time the Nissan Frontier with automatic transmission had an ABS (plastic) cooling line that runs through the radiator. Several of these have cracked inside the radiator causing major issues.

At one time the Nissan Frontier with automatic transmission had an ABS (plastic) cooling line that runs through the radiator. Several of these have cracked inside the radiator causing major issues.
Yeah I’ve heard of this and other similar issues. Coolant running into the transmission and whatnot. From the research I’ve done that seems to be the earlier 2nd gen trucks that did that and Nissan has since remedied that. Also I’ve heard, regarding this issue, simply replacing the factory radiator can fix it.

Back
Top Bottom