• Frontier

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters

lilred06

Default rank <4000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
116   0
Reaction score
So I’m tossed between two great choices. One being the Tacoma TRD Off Road and the other being the Frontier Pro-4x. I’m a simple person and frankly, the latest and greatest doesn’t impress me. I’m not an inattentive soccer mom so I don’t need all the new tech to keep me in my lane and keep from hitting stuff...unlike most of society I remember what I learned while learning to drive :der:

So any other time I’d choose the Tacoma without hesitation, and if this was a choice between the 2nd gen Taco or the Frontier, it’d be an easy choice. I’ve heard numerous complaints from different ones regarding issues with the new Tacomas. I’ve heard several complaints regarding the Frontier as well, but those seem to be centered around pre-2010 models.

Again, I’m very simple. A good 4x4 system and a rear locking diff is a requirement (my own weirdness), and typical creature comforts are cool, but past that I’m super simple. “Infotainment” systems are garbage across the board, so that’s not on a list of must haves. This truck I plan to hand down to my kids so I want something that’s simple and reliable, but also simple to work on and maintain 15 years from now when a new driver is learning how to take care of his/her truck. I am simply lost :confused2:

I don’t have a commute. I have a take-home car and typically my average mileage per year is ~5-7k. Aftermarket isn’t really a factor, a small lift and a little larger tire is about all I want. As long as replacement/repair parts are plentiful, I’m good. Fuel economy isn’t extremely important, but not looking to get 10-12 mpg from a midsize truck either.

What would the hive recommend? First hand experience with each model would be fantastic. I’m trying to put my Toyota fanboy mentality aside and think about this from another angle lol. Thanks!

I have a 2016 Frontier SV 4WD, crew cab with the value truck package, v6/auto. Currently has 49,000 miles and never had an issue or return to dealer for anything. I change oil every 3,000 miles. Probably the best truck I have owned. Not the greatest gas mileage 18/22, but rides smooth, no wind noise, and pulls my boat exceptionally well. Currently looking at the Pro 4X without the roof rack etc, but no 2019’s in Cayenne red locally.

Tacoma... if I had it to do over I would have went with a manual. Be prepared for the used prices.

That’s an issue I’m running into, those Tacos are expensive lol but I’m guessing they hold their value better. Obviously they do as the frontiers are consistently $5-7g cheaper. At the same time, Nissan has been making their truck for well over a decade now :lol: but that’s what is attractive to me, seems like any bugs they’ve had in the past are probably ironed out now.

I have a 2016 Frontier SV 4WD, crew cab with the value truck package, v6/auto. Currently has 49,000 miles and never had an issue or return to dealer for anything. I change oil every 3,000 miles. Probably the best truck I have owned. Not the greatest gas mileage 18/22, but rides smooth, no wind noise, and pulls my boat exceptionally well. Currently looking at the Pro 4X without the roof rack etc, but no 2019’s in Cayenne red locally.
My brother has a 2007 2wd with right around 100k and he tells me he’s not had one problem out of it. And he isn’t known to be easy on a vehicle lol

I have an 05 4 door Tacoma I got 4 years ago with 96k miles and now have around 145k miles. I haven’t had one problem out of it, actually I had to replace a wheel bearing but that’s it. There’s a reason they hold their value, they run forever and don’t cost much to keep on the road.

I have a 2nd gen Tacoma. It does what I need. My top consideration was reliability so I wasn't interested in 3rd gen at that time (2014) even though I knew they were coming out. Consumer Reports complained at that time the Tacoma was basically a 10 year old truck, which was actually a big selling point for me. I bought new because the prices I saw on lowish mileage used Tacoma trucks were sky high. I don't have much experience with the Frontier, but I'd definitely consider one if I were looking for the best used deal and I saw the prices were significantly lower than the Toyota and I wanted to drive the wheels off the thing.

Check out Used car prices in Florida. I have found some screaming deals on several vehicles we have purchased in our family.

I recently saw several frontiers 2015/15/16 models all 12-20k with extremely low miles

If I was buying a mid sized truck,and wanted the best bang for the buck used,the Frontier would be on the list.

Back
Top Bottom