• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I am looking for a pistol and need advice

havent thought about it...will get concealed permit but dont want something as small as .380

CC or night stand is more than just caliber. You can carry a PF9 but do you want that in your night stand as your sole HD weapon? I think ptelite was asking what the main purpose of it was i.e. range, carry, car, HD etc.. I would base my choice on purpose, then once that is covered you get another handgun for another purpose. I don't think you can cover all 4 with one handgun.

and X2 to drtybykr - if it's not on your person it does you no good.

Don't sweat it too much, whatever you decide you'll change your mind, buy, sell or trade at least 8-9 handguns in different calibers over the next 6 months before you figure out what you really want... LOL

IMHO

ps - I'd go 9mm, cheaper to shoot and if this is your first, you'll be shooting it a lot....

first, caliber choice:
9mm is cheap, plentiful, and pleasant to shoot

.40s&w is slightly more expensive (obviously you are on a budget with that price range) and, in my opinion, not pleasant at all. It has a sharp recoil impulse that I really dislike. You can train around the excess muzzle flip and get used to it, but I wouldn't recommend it for a first time shooter. Even .45acp is more pleasant for me.

second, guns:
Ruger P series - big, dependable, not good for concealed carry
kel tec pf9 or p11 - lots of value for the money (best bet for a new pistol and best bet for a carry piece)
Sigma - definitely usable, but not winning any awards in any categories
taurus - offers the full size millennium series which is in the same category as the sigma
or a slim, compact (i forget the model) which is similar to the keltec pf9

makarov - a surplus makarov is a great pistol and very cheap. use the correct ammo; it is not the same as 9mm. its going to be the best quality for the least money. i'd suggest a cz-82 9x18 caliber

I have to agree with dawgm on the .40. I would rather shoot a 9mm, in +P, than the .40. If you really want a larger caliber and can stretch that range a bit (440.00 new), you may want to look into the Stoeger Cougar in .45. Surprisingly light recoil. With the right rig, can CCW. Has rail for light/laser for your nightstand. If your range is a hard number, then I would be looking for a deal on a used, cosmetically ugly Glock.

range, carry, car, HD etc.. I would base my choice on purpose, then once that is covered you get another handgun for another purpose. I don't think you can cover all 4 with one handgun. .

To each his own, I guess, but I do all 4 with one pistol, my Kahr P40.

For the OP, your price range limits you somewhat, another $100.00 i the kitty, to $400.00, and you likely double your options.

FWIW, a Kahr CW9, which is a fairly gun range, carry, and HD pistol, in 9mm, can be had, used, for around $375.00 ....sometimes less. Sigs and other quality makers start to be avaliable at that price point, as do Glocks, as well, if you shop a bit.

Myself, for purposes of self defense, I would not carry a .380 or 9mm Makarov, when guns of that size can also be had in 9mm, a much more effective caliber.

Bottom line, you need to find something that fits your hand, that you shoot well, and if is to be a carry gun, is small and light enough that you will actually carry it daily.

Go to a gun store, and try the fit in your hand of several makers and models to get started, then see if you can find a range or ranges were they rent the models you liked at the gun store, and try them out.

BTW, not a thing wrong with a .38 special revolver, either, if its loaded with +p ammo.

Makarov. Ammo is super cheap, meaning you'll get lots of range time with it to hone your skill. It's reliable as a all hell, pretty accurate, decent to conceal if you get a good holster

Lots of good advice given by members. The only thing I can add is that whatever you buy, night stand or CC, make sure you can hit the target. That means practice. Good luck on whatever you buy.

Last edited:
You might want to visit Bullseye in downtown Lawrenceville. Try out a bunch of rental guns in popular self-defense models and calibers. They have a liberal rental policy. You pay one reasonable rental fee and can try any of their rental guns. You have to buy their ammo for use in rental guns, but prices on their reloaded ammo are also reasonable.

If you haven't spent a lot of time shooting a handgun, another, more round-about path is spending that $300 on a 22LR pistol and a thousand rounds of 22LR ammo. You'll know a lot more about what you're doing with a handgun when you've finished practicing that many shots. Then buy a larger caliber gun for self-defense. If you need to sell the 22 pistol to fund the next handgun, you won't loose much, if any, money.

Wow, this is a lot of very good advise ConRod. I am amazed at the knowledge base on this forum. It's like sitting around a big dinner table filled with people that know their sh%t and just listening in.
For my 2 cents, see if you can find a friend that has a .22 they will let you put a brick or two of ammo through. If not, you may be able to do that at Bullseye with a rental. I think they rent .22s, but I'm not sure. You can get a lot of cheap practice in this way. 500 to 1000 rounds of .22 down range will be a very steep learning curve for you if you don't have much experience shooting a hand gun. Obviously, some instruction from an experienced shooter will help a lot and is highly recommended.
As to weapon choice, any of the hand guns mentioned here will work depending on what you will use it for. One I would look at is the Kel Tec PF9. You can get them new for well less than $300 and I was pleasantly surprised with one I got a few years ago. Accurate and completely reliable. Because of its small size and the fact that it is a 9mm caused it to have a relatively sharp recoil, but nothing unmanageable. Now, I have only had any experience with one of these, so I don't know if it was the norm for this pistol or not, so get some other opinions on it. I would also put a grip extension on each magazine. It helps a lot with control and they only cost about $8.00.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom