• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

i am seeing more people come to this conclusion...

i agree on all points except for the more available reason, i can't see much range ammo for 9mm at walmart but i can find a lot of 40 s&w fmj ammo

That's why I carry a .40...I have never owned a 9mm. Nothing against them, just prefer .40 cal. The op is talking about 9mm vs .45 acp. I believe 9mm is more available than 45 acp. It cetainly is in my neck of the woods.

I like 45 for a nightstand gun, but due to cost I'm only shooting occasionally for proficiency, not for fun. 9mm works just fine as well, and I'm comfortable with it in a self defense situation. I've also gotten a comfort level with .40. In the end I've settled on a Glock 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel so that I have multiple choices. I have pleny on 9mm on hand, and if the world ever actually falls apart there will be plenty of LEO .40 to be found.

Last edited:
Modern SD rounds make this argument redundant. Those who cling to 45 because of nostalgic or "big stick" reasons are just being silly. The 9mm people who claim capacity recoil etc are just as rabid.

Shoot what you want but there isnt much of a difference between having a 1 ton anvil a 2 ton anvil dropped on your head.....You will die either way with good shot placement.....

I think there should be parameters set on conversations like this. You will always have people talk about their SERVICE 9mm and compare it to their SD 45. These are apples to oranges comparisons.

Geneva convention pretty much neuters 9mm in a service capacity thus 45 seems like the better choice.

Do not quote the Marines going to the 1911. That is nothing more than government cronyism and if you think otherwise you are just being silly.

TL:DR

9mm vs 45 in SD doesnt matter since modern rounds level the field.

9mm vs 45 in Service 45 wins out scientifically.

It does cost more and has less capacity. Those are points worth considering.

As someone else stated on here, as long as LEO's carry .40 there will always be ammo on the shelves.

I know guys that own 9mm just for practice, and edc .45...Personally I would rather practice with the weapon I carry.

Again I have never shot a bad 9mm. I have limited experience but not too limited. I have shot Glocks and Sigs. Would like to try the Springfield also. I would be comfortable carrying one as long as its accurate. I want to know whatever I'm carrying will hit what I aim at.

try a cz75

trust me on this if you like accuracy

I shoot with a thoracic surgeon and he treats a lot on 9mm wounds and very few 45 ACP.

He said they don't allow him to work on the dead so not many 45 ACP wounds to deal with.

He will only carry a 45

But that's just his opinion but I found it interesting

But I am sure a lot of the types of gun shot wounds you get at Grady are what ever 9mm they can lay their hands on. Not the best defensive rounds
i wonder how many gang bangers carry 9mm versus .45?

Or think of the 40 as a neutered 10mm because FBI agents couldn't handle the cartridge. I think it was issued in the Smith 1006, and after a while it was downloaded to accommodate the fbi, so Smith got smart and trimmed the case back and invented the 40.

I've had 10's. Wish I still had one. My two complaints were finding ammo, and a glock with 16 rounds of that stuff is a lot to tote around.

true, the 10mm did come first

Back
Top Bottom