I feel bad/chance in a million?

Through the years I've been fortunate enough to go on several pay hunts at various places. On two separate occasions, I've had the outfitter request that no one use ballistic tip ammo. Both claimed they've lost far too many animals as a result. I've always used accubond with great success and my rifle shoots lights out with that ammo.
Not a fan of them for medium sized game. On varmints, they work better than advertised.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Trying to recall as close as possible, I believe I shot 37 deer, 1 coyote and a number of armadillos with this rifle/load. This was the only deer lost and only 2 went more than 50 yards, most dropping within a few feet. I believe what you are saying to be correct but subject to circumstances such as material impacted (bone vs soft tissue) and bullet construction of course playing a large part. Very few had exit wounds, most were shot either angled through the near lower shoulder to traverse the heart/lungs or angled through the heart/lung area to impact the far side shoulder. I am in agreement with your selection of the top two deer rounds but would reverse the order if the average dressed weight was sub 100 pounds, as most GA deer are. Either will do a fine job and I wouldn't want to live on the difference.
Agreed. And personally for me Id rather forego the extra recoil of the .270 and stay with the quarter bore.

Hey.... where's the pic with ur buck?!?!?!
The first one was a 180lb 8 point with a badly damaged rack from fighting I'm guessing. I rattled him in on the first day of gun season, he literally ran up to my stand. The second one I killed yesterday, he's a 145lb 8 point that got careless and crossed a field in broad daylight.

deer1.jpg deer3.jpg

Through the years I've been fortunate enough to go on several pay hunts at various places. On two separate occasions, I've had the outfitter request that no one use ballistic tip ammo. Both claimed they've lost far too many animals as a result. I've always used accubond with great success and my rifle shoots lights out with that ammo.

I shot a nice buck a couple of years ago from 135 yards with a 150 grain Hornaday ballistic tip, the bullet stopped just under the skin on the opposite side of his body, completely unexpanded. He went a good distance before he piled up.

Yes! On two occasions. Once myself and once my brother. Both were good hits that deflected badly. Both bullets failed to hold together well and did not follow the predicted direction once entering the body due to that. Both deer were eventually recovered, but one had been too long in the woods in warm weather and the other was destroyed by coyotes before we found it. Both were with a 7mm Rem Mag using Sierra Gamekings.

I've never used Gamekings again.

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not going nuts!

Nope. Inconstant expansion. I've had them blow right through with no expansion and had others basically disintegrate without nearly the penetration they should have had.
Maybe you didn't hit it in the right location, I've killed around 20 deer using them, longest one ever ran was around 50 yards.

But that's the thing, I was aiming for the shoulder and that's where it hit, but instead of punching through it ricocheted down through it's leg. It's got me rethinking shoulder shots now, but since I'm tagged out I'll have all spring and summer to think about it. :)
SM on a quartering away always aim to take opposite shoulder out it will send the bullet thru the boiler room and tear up vitals every time.

I know I’m hijacking somewhat, but reading Burdy Burdy post I’m just wondering if 30/30 wouldn’t be a better choice?
Not a fan of that one either. The sweet spot is 2600-3100 at impact. So range needs to be adjusted accordingly. Of course caliber and sectional density also play a part in skewing those numbers but in common deer calibers if you want bang flops those velocities paired with the proper bullet construction should produce good results. At 30/30 speeds you really need a .358 caliber sized round or larger, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom