I have a question for you guys.

Really folks? Shoot it for reliability? How about train like hell with it until it's second nature to use? I mean, you're going to be trusting your life to it and your skills with it.

Just sayin.

Not only shoot it before you carry it for reliability, but shoot it to see how it feels in your hand. Make sure it works to your personal satisfaction well within your comfort zone. Ergonomics and comfort will go a long way with your accuracy. Bottom line is to know and trust your weapon.
With that being said, I have have a few really nice handguns over the years that are known for their accuracy and reliability, but they weren't comfortable to me and didn't fit my big arse hands. So, I have traded or sold to acquire the ones that "fit me".

1. test drive same model... if not available, closest thing to it.
  2. if its new(from dealer), proceed to step 4
  3. take to trusted smith for FURTHER inspection/tuning/replacement of worn parts
  4. shoot/train until every action is second nature
  5. goto step 3

:D

You should also be shooting/training with the "self-defense ammo" you use as well. Most ppl. just shoot cheap ball ammo at the range and have no idea that the hollowpoints they fill it with afterwards are totally different.

I never carry one before I shoot it, not just because I'm unsure of reliability, but more because I am unsure of point of aim, as it varies significantly from gun to gun.

I also have a edc I can carry until I shoot said new gun. If it was my first gun and I had nothing else to carry, I would probably carry it over carrying nothing, but my first priority would be getting to the range.

If I ever had to use the new gun before I took it to the range, I would pay extra attention to whats behind my intended target and probably wouldn't fire unless I was close to being point blank. This is a terrible situation to put yourself in though, avoid that at all costs!

Back
Top Bottom