• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I love the AK47 and own a few, would I enjoy an SKS?

A814CE35-5042-47CB-A00A-EEA20A7475C6.jpeg
I prefer an SKS for plinking and casual 50-yd to 100 yard target shooting.
I sold my AK. (Norinco MAK-90 with badly canted sights) several years ago.
My SKS is in the standard wood stock and has the 10 rd. internal mag.
The longer sight radius makes it more accurate than an AK.
You can get a polymer 20-round non-quick-detachable mag if you want.

The SKS is that rented mule that everyone beats the **** out of and just don't notice that is insanely reliable .

They use to be dirt cheap. Not so much these days . I've bought and sold at least 20 over the years. I always end up keeping at least one.

As you can imagine I have a thing for soviet weapons. The 7.62x39 is my favorite round. I know the idea seems stupid but my favorite 7.62x39 is my semi auto RPD .

I can sit at the range with a case of Tula X39 and just plink away at 100 yard steel. I love it . The PTR-32 7.62x39 is right up there with my Yugo AK. I just enjoy them the most

IMG_2470.JPG

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_5561.JPG

I love everything about the AK47 platform, and enjoy it across several calibers and variations. From 12GA to 7.62x54R, but by far my favorite is shooting the 7.62x39 variants. So my question is would i enjoy an SKS, I've never shot or held one before, but I think it looks cool and I've got plenty of ammo for it if I do get one. Any advice on important things to look for, good or bad, if I decide to buy one would also be helpful, as the SKS seems to have a few variations of it's own.

Traded a mak 223 for a D model & never regretted it. Crusader scope mount
Monte Carlo stock

Attachments

• 20161126_234248.jpg
    20161126_234248.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 22
I love everything about the AK47 platform, and enjoy it across several calibers and variations. From 12GA to 7.62x54R, but by far my favorite is shooting the 7.62x39 variants. So my question is would i enjoy an SKS, I've never shot or held one before, but I think it looks cool and I've got plenty of ammo for it if I do get one. Any advice on important things to look for, good or bad, if I decide to buy one would also be helpful, as the SKS seems to have a few variations of it's own.

The SKS is a smoother-shooting, more accurate rifle for the 7.62x39 (vs the AK47). It’s a little heavier and longer that an AK, and the factory magazine capacity is fixed, 10-round (though you can easily modify the mag well to accept higher capacity “duckbill” magazines).

If you are considering an AK, I would definitely consider the VZ58/2008. Far better than an AK, in my opinion. Lighter, more accurate, last round bolt-open. Love my VZ’s.

SKS are fun, but don't overpay for one. In terms of practical usage, the AK is superior in nearly every way with the possible exception of long-range accuracy (the rub being that it is very difficult to add optics to an SKS). Too many people buy an SKS and try to turn it into an AK.

"Too many people buy an SKS and try to turn it into an AK."
"Quoted for truth."

Yes, there is a lot of truth to this... and I'm one of the guilty ones.

Yet, and still, there are two sides to every argument, and pro and con as well. I have 2 SKSs and 4 AKs (have one of my SKSs listed for sale here on ODT). I do prefer the AK, but there is something to be said for the feel, accuracy and reliability of the SKS.

I have an SKS with the standard 20" barrel and a 16" paratrooper model. I like the 16" paratrooper model the best. The balance and feel of it is better than the 20".

Actually, based on my research, there was never a factory made "Paratrooper" model SKS made, nor were they issued to Paratroopers. The importers realized that the so-called paratrooper model (16" barrel) was appealing to the US market, and they were having the factory to cut the barrel and mill some material off the muzzle end and remount the FSB and call it a paratrooper model. And, it was a successful strategy. They were popular then, and still are.

The "D" models that take the AK mags are also popular, and prices tend to be higher than non-D models.

I have the Tapco polymer stock on both my SKSs because I like it better than the original wood stock. So, my SKSs are not original. I've also done the bolt mod on both my SKSs so the duck-bill mags can be drop-free or inserted with the bolt closed. Normally, the bolt would have to be open to install the duck-bill (AK wanabe) mags.

I happen to like the drop-free mag modification, and it works like a charm. The 20 round Tapco mags work best, and I've never had a FTF or FTE, ever. To be honest, I was always a bit nervous loading the rounds from the top into the original mag by hand, and have never used, and do not own, any stripper clips. I'd hate for the bolt carrier to accidently close on my hand while loading from the top. The drop-free mag mod is an improvement in my view, and the bolt carrier stays open on the last round (unlike and AK).

I also have a bolt carrier cover with the scope rings, but I do not use it or any optics on the SKSs. This is perhaps one of the weaknesses of the SKS over the AK.

I plan on keeping the paratrooper model SKS, but I hope to sell or trade the 20" model for another AK, or whatever.

Sorry for the long dissertation, but thought I'd add my .02.

Back
Top Bottom