• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I love the AK47 and own a few, would I enjoy an SKS?

I would recommend shooting them and seeing what you like. They use the same round and that's about it. SKS tend to be front heavy IMO. But try them and see what fit's you the best. Just stay away from tapco and bubba and they are both great guns

I also did the SKS bolt modification to allow insertion/removal of the duckbill mags. I bought a stripped bolt on-line and modified it so I could keep the original numbered bolt as “stock” should I want to go back to that. A stripped bolt cost me $15-20 when I ordered it.
There are several YouTube vids on how to modify the bolt. I did it in a few minutes with a Dremel tool.
Works like a champ!
I also added an extended mag release.
I like the SKS... definitely a SHTF grab-gun. My stock and upgraded VZ58’s are as well.

No offense meant. I just like the original wood furniture personally. it's hard to beat some good looking wood IMO
Yea, I like the wood stocks too, if they are nice. A word of caution about the wood SKS stocks; that cross-brace flat-head screw just in front of the trigger assembly cut-out does not un-screw, if you ever want to remove it. Ask me how I know this... :)

It is actually a brace (flat on top) that the receiver rests on; if you want to remove it, (cross-brace screw) you have to un-screw the odd nut on the right side of the cross-brace, with the two holes in it. Not an easy task. I used a snap-ring plier, after I realized the screw don't unscrew.

I also did the SKS bolt modification to allow insertion/removal of the duckbill mags. I bought a stripped bolt on-line and modified it so I could keep the original numbered bolt as “stock” should I want to go back to that. A stripped bolt cost me $15-20 when I ordered it.
There are several YouTube vids on how to modify the bolt. I did it in a few minutes with a Dremel tool.
Works like a champ!
I also added an extended mag release.
I like the SKS... definitely a SHTF grab-gun. My stock and upgraded VZ58’s are as well.
The SKSs are nice rifles, and tough; they have good steel in them, even if the machining is a little rough. Of course, it's certainly no rougher than the Romanian made AKs.

I wish I had bought a bunch of em' (SKSs) when they were $99 all day long at Rose's department store. :)

For just plain having fun, I like the standard integral mag SKS better than the AK.
The original 10 round mag works well with the SKS, although it can be cumbersome loading from the top; the stripper clips appear to work well, and was designed specifically for the SKS, with the cut-out grooves for the stripper clips in the front of the bolt carrier.

Even with the bolt mod, to allow for quick and easy duck-bill mag changes with bolt closed, the original 10 round mag would still work fine. Only problem would be if you activated the mag release with rounds in the mag, it would open the rear of the mag and dump the ammo out of it.

I always thought I wanted an SKS "D" that takes AK mags. But for what they cost, you can buy a decent AK.

Attached is a pic of my John-shorty SKS Paratrooper with terrible Tapco stock and duck-bill mag. Also, my flat-sided Saiga AK conversion with the Arsenal furniture. I like em' both.
101_0808.JPG
101_0809.JPG

Back
Top Bottom