• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I need help

bgodfrey

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
8   0
Reaction score
so a while back I had a out of battery on one of my reloads, took gun to gunsmith to make sure nothing was damaged and spent the next couple of days going through a couple thousand rounds re-checking the depth setting and everything I could think to do and have had no problems with any of the rounds until this past weekend. I had another round blow up, again no damage to the weapon besides the magazine blown out the bottom. The only thing I can think of is possibly I had a double charge with that round. If that's the case I can accept my own complacency, Is there anything anyone can think of that I need to double/triple check, not sure how many more of those im going to get without loosing a finger or more.

Over several years of reloading 45 acp I have had 2 blowouts. One in my Glock 21 a few years ago and just a couple months ago in my Glock 30. Both times the magazine was blown completely out of the firearm. The first time I just lost the mag. This second time I lost the mag and the mag release button broke in half inside the frame. No other internal damage was done. Flash burns on my hands, almost poopied my pants both times..........I'm very careful in making sure I am not overcharging my loads. It's not impossible to do but it is unlikely the way the progressive press is set up. What I do watch for even more closely now is any type of dimple or crease in the brass casing. If I even think that the casing has been weakened at all, it goes in the junk pile. I can only attibute the blow outs to a weak casing wall that went undetected to the eye. The first picture was from my Glock 21. The second picture was from my Glock 30
45acp.JPG
45acp1.jpg

I am not sure the problem is a double charge, but to remove that concern you could weigh them and pull out those that were above a normal weight. Pull the bullets and weigh the charge in a few of these. If you are running mixed headstamps, as most of us do, brand and lot make a difference in brass weight. We're there any pressure signs in any other rounds?

what caliber and what loads... also what firearm

Very easy to do with pistol rounds if you are not paying attention. the reason is that many pistol powders only fills a portion of the case and double loads will not overflow the case making it obvious you have a double load.

Rifle rounds almost always overflow the case and make a mess.

the best method to avoid a double charge is to size, prime and then fill all your rounds with powder placing them in loading blocks... Before seating the bullets look at EVERY case to insure the powder level is the same...

some simple rules in reloading

Avoid at all cost any distractions.. phone calls.. visitors, Television or anything else.

never think you are smarter than the reloading manuals they have the proper equipment to know what is going on

I'd pull every round you loaded at that time...

you are very lucky

Out of battery and double charge are two different failure modes.

As previously mentioned, details about the make/model of gun, and the cartridge type would be helpful. Also, details about the load itself, your reloading setup (which machine), and any description of your loading procedures you care to provide.

Back
Top Bottom