• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

I Want To Change My Address

You can change the address on your drivers license on line. Cost nothing. According to the Douglas County magistrate court, unless your GWL is up for renewal soon you don't have to change the address on that to match your drivers license.

You can change the address on your drivers license on line. Cost nothing. According to the Douglas County magistrate court, unless your GWL is up for renewal soon you don't have to change the address on that to match your drivers license.

Well it's going to get a little confusing if you purchase a firearm through an FFL dealer.
My GWL had my physical address on it, but my DL had my PO Box. The FFL wants the GWL to have your correct physical address on it.

Please explain.
What's to explain? Your insurance rates are based on your zip code of your primary residence for a lot of reasons. But they are all for the same ultimate reason, to determine the likelihood of a claim (whether it's for theft, vandalism or accident) and therefore set your rate based. The OP states that he knows a benefit of changing the address to somewhere he does not live is the lower rate. If he has an issue and files a claim and they find out it is not his address (nor even a residential location), they'd have a right to at the very least deny the claim and drop him. If he collected and it was found after the fact it would be a basis for fraud. Giving false information to an insurance company for financial gain (at the very least lower rates) is fraud by definition. Granted, I'd assume they'd likely just drop him and deny any claim if known beforehand but good look getting coverage with that in your history.
Not sure how long OP will be a nomad but everything is a risk - reward. Some things just aren't worth the potential hassle. I'd put trying to game my auto coverage in that category. This from someone that has never filed a claim in their life (save one windshield). But with my luck, as soon as I tried something like that, I'd be involved in a major collision or my vehicle would get stolen.

If you have a GWL you would need to have the address changed on it also.

Actually you do not. The GWCL is good for 5 years, even if you move to another state. When buying a gun I have never even showed my license as the GWCL is now recognized as an official form of ID after they started putting pictures on it.

Who is the "they" that would like them to match? Get pulled over, show DL. Buy a gun, show GWCL. I have never showed both?

Either the GWL or your DL will have your physical address on it. That is the law. They would like for them to match.

Certain gun stores will bitch about it if you try to buy a gun and the addresses don't match, but there is no legal requirement to have your address updated on your GWCL. Last time I checked there isn't even an option to do that, you just have to reapply for a new GWCL like you do when they expire. I'm not paying $80 to get an address changed because Academy or Cabelas doesn't like it. I don't buy new guns very often anyway.

I personally wouldn't give an insurance company a reason to deny a claim, drop my coverage, or worse, claim fraud.
I have considered this, as well as the possibility of there being any civil or criminal codes that I might be violating.

Anyway, the house is for sale and my tags are not due until May. If the house sells before then, I'll definitely pull the trigger on this, since my property address will then be the closest thing to a real address that I can claim anyway.

Back
Top Bottom