• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I was part of an ODT auction yesterday

albatros43

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Jackwagon
176   0
Reaction score
Yesterday someone posted an item for a great price (seemingly too good) with a number to text them in the ad. I sent a PM to ask a specific question and then texted the person also. I asked a few questions to gauge authenticity (again, item was listed for a really low price) and said I'd take it and could meet tomorrow.

The seller replied that another guy was interested and could meet within 20 minutes and pay $100 more than asking price for the item. At that point, I said ODT wasn't an auction site and wouldn't have dealt with him even if he came back and said he'd sell for the listed asking price.

And surprise/surprise the same item (95% sure) was listed again by a new seller within 2 hours for $200 more than the asking price of the original seller. It has since sold and both listings have been scrubbed (no pics or descriptions in either ad). Scrubbing listings is not typical of either seller.

I can understand wanting to get the most for your item, but you should be willing to sell your item for the price you listed. The seller was seemingly trying to get me to make a better offer than the other guy (above asking).

I really don't see a problem here, the seller can sell to whomever they want. I have had this happen to me, I likely won't deal with the seller again due to the waist of time but beyond that I don't hold a grudge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, I thought that was HOW THIS SITE worked? LOL! You post, play coy with PMs, wait a bit for the 'right' buyer to post his higher bid, when you think you're at the most you'll get for the widget, then you arrange the meet and close the ad. Isn't that how this all works? Isn't that how any of this works? I know it's happened to me. Kind of like dealing with lowballers in reverse. You put the item out at a lowball price and then let the counter offers roll in.

To me it measures the integrity of the individual. I had a deal about a year after I joined, was selling a Super Bait tank II for 500.00. I marked it down to 400 and got a pm saying they would take it..I met him and he gave me 500.00, I gave him 100 back..He looked bewildered, I explained that I had marked it down..He was a happy camper. I can sleep at night.

To me it measures the integrity of the individual. I had a deal about a year after I joined, was selling a Super Bait tank II for 500.00. I marked it down to 400 and got a pm saying they would take it..I met him and he gave me 500.00, I gave him 100 back..He looked bewildered, I explained that I had marked it down..He was a happy camper. I can sleep at night.
I've had that happen at a gunshow. I dickered over price and agreed to accept the dealer's offer. I got home an realized he'd overpaid by $100 so I went back to the next show and handed him the $100. He was shocked. He's a good guy though. Always enjoy talking to him.

LOL, I thought that was HOW THIS SITE worked? LOL! You post, play coy with PMs, wait a bit for the 'right' buyer to post his higher bid, when you think you're at the most you'll get for the widget, then you arrange the meet and close the ad. Isn't that how this all works? Isn't that how any of this works? I know it's happened to me. Kind of like dealing with lowballers in reverse. You put the item out at a lowball price and then let the counter offers roll in.

That's seemingly how this worked. When someone only wants to deal over texts, you know it's sketchy. I can only guess the seller was trying to play buyers against one another, which is something you wouldn't want recorded in PMs.

Seller - "Hey, Buyer A can meet in 3 seconds and will pay $100 more than asking and throw in three goats".

Me - "Ok, enjoy the goats"

That's seemingly how this worked. When someone only wants to deal over texts, you know it's sketchy. I can only guess the seller was trying to play buyers against one another, which is something you wouldn't want recorded in PMs.

Seller - "Hey, Buyer A can meet in 3 seconds and will pay $100 more than asking and throw in three goats".

Me - "Ok, enjoy the goats"
I try to not meet buyers/sellers from Paulding County.

Up to him to sell it to whomever he wants, for whatever.........unless he opened a new account up to jack up the price, to avoid backlash........

Back
Top Bottom