• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

IDPA Shoots and Weapon Choice

ne ga pappy

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
35   0
Reaction score
I am seriously considering getting into IDPA shoots. I haven't done much competitive shooting over the past 30 years or so, and have only read the rules for IDPA. I have never watched a shoot. I have never been a big fan of striker fired guns, and had no polymer weapons. I mostly have shot my Ruger revolvers (GP100 .357, Security Six .357, Redhawk .41Mag, and Redhawk .44 mag) I do own a few .22 autos (Ruger MKII, S&W, Browning Nomad, SR22) and a smattering of 1911s in different brands, mostly commander size. I have never owned a 9mm because I always felt while a 9mm might expand, a .45 wasn't going to shrink. However, I am open to a 9mm for IDPA because the ammo might be a good bit cheaper, and more readily available in bulk.

Knowing that, for the ones that may shoot IDPA, what advise would you give a Noobie on weapon choice, class to shoot, and other helpful info.

Shoot your 1911 45. I recommend a strong side outside the waist band holster and two single mag pouches. If you decide you like it - you can then decide what you like and need.

Go watch your first match and see what everyone there is shooting. If your local range is like the one here, you'll see more Glocks than anything else. You'll see lots of Glock 34's, 17's, and 19's. If you shoot enough, you'll see almost everything being shot, but despite there being less of everything than Glocks, those other guns all have more problems, expensive 1911's included. That being said, don't buy something before your first match and just shoot what you have for a few matches. Talk to people about what they shoot and why. If you are any good at all, you'll be beating 50% of the people after 5 or 6 matches no matter what you shoot. Switching to something 9mm makes sense, you'll spend a lot less on ammo. Early on, when brass is gathered up, get in there and get your share, even if you don't reload yet. If you keep shooting long enough, you'll eventually want to. That'll be a lot easier if you have a couple of buckets of brass squirreled away to get started with. At my range, lots of people like Comp Tac or MasterTac holsters. Talk to people at the range though, there will be be several people that love to help you out.

Start with what you have, but if you get into shooting a lot you might find a 9mm striker gun or even a 9mm 1911 more affordable and easier to shoot. The Springfield RO family is a nice out of the box option for a 9mm 1911 that's not terribly expensive. Otherwise I'll always recommend a Glock 19/17/34 depending on what you want to get out of it.

Start with what you have, but if you get into shooting a lot you might find a 9mm striker gun or even a 9mm 1911 more affordable and easier to shoot. The Springfield RO family is a nice out of the box option for a 9mm 1911 that's not terribly expensive. Otherwise I'll always recommend a Glock 19/17/34 depending on what you want to get out of it.
Yup - start with you got. Go to a match or two and shoot with what you already have. See what others are running and what you like. Most people have no issues letting you touch and ask questions about their gear. As you get a feel for what you like, start buying. Nothing quite as fun as spending a whole bunch of money on gear to quickly find out that it doesn't work as you thought it would or something else fits you and your style better. Then getting to go spend a whole bunch more money again!

Watch a few YouTube videos to get an idea of the range commands. Dry fire practice as much as you have time for and be prepared to have a great time.
Make sure you understand the 180 rule and watch a few DQ videos to understand what not to do.
Great to hear you are interested in joining the brotherhood.
gyppo

Back
Top Bottom