• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In doubt of 9mm being best for prepping

Depending on the scenario we could imagine, I think for most everyone, hunting for food will be secondary to scavenging if you don’t already have stockpiles or are in your “bug in” location.

Think about the impractical nature of hunting when you’re trying to avoid human or animal interaction. Can you find game? Can you stay on your land or do you need encroach on other’s? Can you harvest it? Process it? Store it? Defend your quarry? Everywhere you go, even in the sticks, there will be people. Gunshots draw attention. A guy carrying a weapon draws attention. If you have an AR15 and I see you first, I might not want to give you the same benefit of the doubt as a guy walking on my land carrying a lever action…right or wrong, there’s going to be a sizing up of folks outside of one’s “tribe” and how you deal with them.

People are going to loot, people are going to defend what’s theirs. Hunting will be secondary to either scavenging or defending what’s yours from others.

I live between a dozen chicken houses and five pastures of cattle and near a lake. I know some folks and some know me…but if I stray into the wrong area carrying an AR15, I’m pretty sure Farmer Jones’s second cousin who is sitting watch over their fields in a tree stand is going to bust my melon open and I won’t know what hit me. I’m quite sure some suburbanites are going to get hungry and think they can come out here and get free chicken and steak…I don’t want to be confused with them. I honestly can’t picture a scenario East of the Mississippi where your worst threat isn’t a human. Lone wolves won’t do well for long since we can’t watch our own backs, we’ll all need a cooperative tribe.

Depending on the scenario we could imagine, I think for most everyone, hunting for food will be secondary to scavenging if you don’t already have stockpiles or are in your “bug in” location.

Think about the impractical nature of hunting when you’re trying to avoid human or animal interaction. Can you find game? Can you stay on your land or do you need encroach on other’s? Can you harvest it? Process it? Store it? Defend your quarry? Everywhere you go, even in the sticks, there will be people. Gunshots draw attention. A guy carrying a weapon draws attention. If you have an AR15 and I see you first, I might not want to give you the same benefit of the doubt as a guy walking on my land carrying a lever action…right or wrong, there’s going to be a sizing up of folks outside of one’s “tribe” and how you deal with them.

People are going to loot, people are going to defend what’s theirs. Hunting will be secondary to either scavenging or defending what’s yours from others.

I live between a dozen chicken houses and five pastures of cattle and near a lake. I know some folks and some know me…but if I stray into the wrong area carrying an AR15, I’m pretty sure Farmer Jones’s second cousin who is sitting watch over their fields in a tree stand is going to bust my melon open and I won’t know what hit me. I’m quite sure some suburbanites are going to get hungry and think they can come out here and get free chicken and steak…I don’t want to be confused with them. I honestly can’t picture a scenario East of the Mississippi where your worst threat isn’t a human. Lone wolves won’t do well for long since we can’t watch our own backs, we’ll all need a cooperative tribe.
Yep, I think most wild game, in most areas will last a few weeks at the very best.

And once game starts to get scarce, I'd want to not be around anywhere with desperate hungry people shooting at anything in the undergrowth that moves.

I agree on a cooperative tribe. You know what they say, it's all about location, location, location.

There's very few semi auto .357mag pistols (Coonan's and Desert Eagles), and no semi auto .357mag rifles (just levers and a ruger bolt) that I'm aware of, although it would be kinda neat to have there's not really a point.

If you thought 9mm didnt give the performance you wanted in a rifle 10mm is a much better choice than .357 because you can run a pistol and carbine with the same magazines, but then you are more likely to have ammunition scarcity issues, and most 10mm ammo off the shelf isn't coming close to the cartridges potential and you're pretty much shooting 40 Short and Weak unless you are buying specialty ammo or handloading.

You're probably way better off either way with a few mags of .556 for your AR, and a few mags of 9mm or whatever you prefer to carry in your pistol and figure out which gun you should be using when.

In a true bug out situation you're going to want to go as lightweight as possible. I'd think something like a 10/22 takedown would be ideal.

Otherwise, I agree with most others. Something like a glock-mag 9MM PCC + glock 9mm pistol(s) would be most realistic.

If you're referring to a scenario where it's full on war.. unrealistic IMO, but grab the 5.56.

I would care less about making sure my rifle and pistol calibers matched, and care more about ensuring my firearms' ammo would be easy to replace. .22 / 9MM / 5.56 ammo would certainly be most easy to find / loot in a doomsday scenario.

In a true bug out situation you're going to want to go as lightweight as possible. I'd think something like a 10/22 takedown would be ideal.
also a good option. I have one, fits in the back of the truck in a cubby and you'd never know it was there. Holds 50 rounds in the stock + spare mag. Keep it loaded with 10 rounds, too. Will also have enough room to be a grab-and-go emergency kit, with a lighter and tools stuffed into the handle. Fits in a small bag.

yeah it's a 22 but with good ammo you can send a lot of them in a hurry.

that said, when I travel it's with a suppressed rattler. not inexpensive, but fits in a really non-descript bag and packs a pretty serious punch should the need arise.

If you want to cull down your moving gear wouldn't you want a cartridge that both a handgun and a rifle could use. The old cowboys and drifters were on to something. Their pistols and rifles often used the same round. So to keep from having to have 9mm and 5.56, why wouldn't you use something like a 357 be choosen for ability to use 38++p hollow points ect.? Or something like that.
How are you going to outshoot someone with a draco and a drum?

Back
Top Bottom