• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

In state transfer of rifles, shotguns and handguns from NON licensee to NON licensee.

legality isn't the reason i don't ship. to me i want to meet a person i'm selling a gun to. also i want them to see and inspect. too many issues with a buyer saying you misrepresented something etc. i want a man to hold it and see for himself. that way i know he's happy with the buy or trade. not to mention the risk of shipping damage.

, I personally like to see first hand what I am spending upwards of $500 on, and being directly involved with transportation, I know how they handle these packages; If only you were closer!

Im with you 2 on this ....... I like ftf transactions !!!!!

I like FTF as well but have been on both ends with shipping... The seller makes the call.. If I ask "will you ship?" and the answer is no I drop it...
Absolutely no problem... The folks in the far reaches of Georgia have a disadvantage.... Especially with gas closing in on $4 a gallon... I would pay
the $25 shipping before I spend $75 in gas plus time travelling....

It really should be. Mainly in the classifieds area. Most dealers dont even know the laws!

CR107 is right on the money with that information. Give it a try and poll some of your local dealers, pawnshops and other FFL holders. Ask them what they think the law is about "in state transfers" from NON licensee to NON licensee and whether you can simply mail a handgun, shotgun or rifle straight to the guys house and see what they say. I bet you will be surprized!
I called 3 different business's that have an FFL here in South GA and I was told the right answer by one of the three. The BATFE criminal agent wasn't that sure either and he directed me to the BATFE Industry Operations Dept for the 100% correct answer.

There are allot of people paying unnecessary transfer fees when by federal law they are not required to. Keeps the FFL holder happy! Transfer fees of $40 or $50 or more to ship and receive on top of shipping costs is a rip off and I would never do business there.

As far as the decision to ship or do FTF trading or selling well that is both a personal choice and in todays economic crisis a financial one. You have to decide how much gas will cost and how much is your time worth to you. For some reason there is not a lot of traders, buyers or sellers down here on the bottom end of the state so options are limited. I recently did some trading with CR107 that involved shipping and if you can handle business like he does then I would have no problem shipping guns. Lots of information, pictures and everything up front. I think most guys can tell who is trying to snow job them and who is honest.

yeah I love the part about the; 21 to buy a handgun from a FFL, but 18 to buy from individual. Yet people still will not sell a pistol to someone under 21 even though its perfectly legal as long as its not a straw purchase. Good info though. Great point testdepth we need to quit listening to what other people are saying unless we see it somewhere besides wikipedia or yahoo.

This opens up so many possibilities on this site. So much for "If only you were closer"

And by licensee, I am assuming a Federal Firearms License holder right? IE. a dealer right?

Yes, Licensee means a holder of a Federal Firearms License AKA dealer. I think most guys just assume the laws are very strict. When in fact it is very simple to ship.

I found this over on GON:

Delivery of a firearm sold to a resident of the same state: There is no requirement that any gun (long or short) that is sold to a resident of the same state as the seller have to be physically transferred in any manner. Specifically, the firearm does not have to be delivered to or transferred through a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL). The firearm may be transferred in a face to face transaction, or delivered to the purchaser by a third party, or delivered by a carrier. The seller has the option of delivering the firearm to an FFL, in which case the purchaser would have to fill out the appropriate forms and undergo a background check.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom