• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Informing an Officer that there is a weapon in the car during traffic stop.

I was pulled over in Florida, my insurance was in my glove box, as was two Glocks. I informed the cop that there were guns in there before I reached in for my insurance. He just asked "what's with all the fire power?"
Told him that was our normal carry. I did give him my GWL with out him asking after seeing that though.

I keep the registration and insurance card in my visor with a rubber band for that reason, and so I don't go fumbling around in the center console or glove box.
Do they even need to see an insurance card anymore? I thought everything was in the state database and they would know if you have current insurance when they ran the plates?
I drive a truck for a living and we have to have a physical copy during a stop or DOT inspection but I haven't been pulled over in my POV in years.

Yes, it's retarded. You have to carry a card but it can't be used as proof of insurance?!?!

" Your insurance policy information card must be carried in your vehicle at all times when the vehicle is driven, even now when insurance cards are no longer acceptable proof of insurance"

https://dor.georgia.gov/motor-vehicle-liability-insurance-coverage-owners-responsibilities
So that Geico app I have on my phone isn't a replacement for the paper copy?
Flo has me ridin' dirty?

Insurance card has to be available either a) physical card or b) electronic (cell phone). Ultimately, you have to be able to provide your policy number in the event of a crash. Policy numbers do not show up when LEO runs your tag; only "valid insurance", " no valid insurance", or "unknown insurance status" is shown and if "valid", it will name the company.

Also, if someone (you or the insurance agent) made a fat finger mistake typing in your VIN when you bought the policy it will not show up on the tag as the vehicle having an active policy. It certainly makes things easier when I can just compare the VIN on your "in date" insurance card and your vehicle and see that someone probably just left out a number. On the flip side of that, most insurance cards come in 6 month periods but most people pay by the month. This is why just an insurance card by itself isn't "proof". Too many people buying a policy, getting their 6 month card, and then not paying after the first month. Yeah, card may be good but I assure you their insurance isn't and you're going to be pissed when they crash into you.

Also, if someone (you or the insurance agent) made a fat finger mistake typing in your VIN when you bought the policy it will not show up on the tag as the vehicle having an active policy. It certainly makes things easier when I can just compare the VIN on your "in date" insurance card and your vehicle and see that someone probably just left out a number. On the flip side of that, most insurance cards come in 6 month periods but most people pay by the month. This is why just an insurance card by itself isn't "proof". Too many people buying a policy, getting their 6 month card, and then not paying after the first month. Yeah, card may be good but I assure you their insurance isn't and you're going to be pissed when they crash into you.
Thanks for the clarification, I didn't mean to derail the thread but that's good info.

Back
Top Bottom