• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Informing an Officer that there is a weapon in the car during traffic stop.

Been pulled over numerous times... Usually for going 10 over after working doubles very late at night with no traffic.
Numerous occasions the cops check me out and if I have a visible firearm they usually end up chatting with me about guns to kill time while waiting for their next DUI driver barreling all over the road.
The last cop darn near forgot that he was there for a police check point check and immediately got all warm and fuzzy when he saw my rock 1911.

There is no requirement to do so however:

I respect officer safety, when I get pulled over which hasnt been in 3 years... I hand them my DL, insurance and GWL. I've been thanked almost everytime for doing so. I have only had two run my serial before.

I however do not notify of it at a road block, I feel that would just ask for a headache and a "sir can you pull over to the side". Especially when they find my ISIS ready back up rifle I tote too and from most days. Yeah I'm a little paranoid.

Working with police officers over the past 10 years as friends and handgun POST training I always consider peace of mind for them to know the person has one and has the right intentions in carrying. I also roll my window completely down instead of trying to talk to them through a cracked window passing documents through like a law fearing panzy who is afraid of being violated.

There is no requirement to do so however:

I respect officer safety, when I get pulled over which hasnt been in 3 years... I hand them my DL, insurance and GWL. I've been thanked almost everytime for doing so. I have only had two run my serial before.

How is your doing this contribute to officer safety? If you are armed, and you don't tell the cop, is he less safe?

How is your doing this contribute to officer safety? If you are armed, and you don't tell the cop, is he less safe?

It's just my opinion and how I handle getting pulled over. I don't consider it invasive, again just my opinion.

Does officer comfort sound better? Knowing vs thinking that every traffic stop is armed and wondering if you might get shot.

Last edited:
Does officer comfort sound better? Knowing vs thinking that every traffic stop is armed and wondering if you might get shot.
There is a difference between being aware and ready versus skittish

If that is a concern then said individual has no business being leo. But do what ya want i guess

Only a handful of people get shot at on a regular basis on U.S. soil. I sadly was one of them. It takes a matter of seconds to end up on your butt.

Don't show your's I will continue to show mine.

Only a handful of people get shot at on a regular basis on U.S. soil. I sadly was one of them. It takes a matter of seconds to end up on your butt.

Don't show your's I will continue to show mine.

By your own admission an officer should always be ready. Based on that belief showing a card that says legal gun carrier shouldnt change that, so if they are doing their job they should be ready, otherwise their "comfort" is a false sense of security and is actually harmful

But do what ya want and i sure.as hell wouldnt tell them :)

As an Mp I would thank people for telling me. I also Tell Every officer I am Armed when pulled over. Its a comfort thing and something I was thankful for when told and something most officers thank me for. it has also helped me out of tickets before for being honest.

I just keep my hands visible and inform officer of every hand movement before I make it.
I had to reach for my wallet next to my visible pistol stuffed between my seats and informed I am reaching for wallet not gun.
Every officer is different and will handle differently depending on how they feel or how they're trained.

Back
Top Bottom