• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interesting day on WMA

GlockDawg

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
Assault Wookie
29   0
Reaction score
So I went squirrel hunting this afternoon, took my 22LR with me and got in my spot around 4:15 and settled in.

Other than those obnoxious woodpeckers everthing was oddly quiet until I spotted some movement on the ridge ahead of me. I pulled my binos out and was thinking it was a rabbit, whiteish grey and thought I was seeing floppy ears till it's head turned and I realized it was a coyote taking a nap under a small downed tree.

I probably glassed him for 45mins with my 8x binos and then switched over to my 9x scope. He popped his head up a few times to yawn and then back to napping. I have only been hunting for maybe 5 years on only public and I have never seen one, only tracks and scat.

Well the sun was heading down so I tried calling him in alittle closer which actually worked after 15mins trying to make squeaking noises my mouth. He finally looked in my direction got up and started trotting straight at me.

I'm guessing he was 65yds when bedded and closed about 40yds and stopped with his head covered by a small tree just enough where I couldn't get a shot and instead of waiting I tried calling again and he bolted like greased lightning.

So I missed my chance at my first yote but was a great experience and learned a few things as well. Still really surprised a yote was napping out in the open like that.

I did take a few pics with my phone through my rifle scope while he was napping but you can't see much sadly. Figured I'd share my first yote encounter with you all, was definitely a great experience!

Here's the pics, i marked it to show where he laid. Where he stopped and where he took off.

i1332.photobucket.com_albums_w619_GlockDawg_20190218_172213_zpe4acd37777eb95e6d2bdd25347eeecfc.jpg

i1332.photobucket.com_albums_w619_GlockDawg_20190218_170113_zpsb9nmrsft.jpg

i1332.photobucket.com_albums_w619_GlockDawg_20190218_170936_zps2teentwy.jpg

Watching wildlife is always fun and relaxing.
Unless its a mountain lion trying to gnaw off your face.

Indeed, although putting something in your crosshairs that looks like your pet had me a little hesitant. I was gonna take the shot, I just wanted that perfect head shot.

First encounters like that are always alittle weird.

Been there myself.
Learned the hard way that when a yote is walking towards you just dump the mag until it’s dead because if you wait for that perfect shot it WILL bolt before you knew what spooked it.
One of my best experiences was when one walked within 15 feet of me while I was standing next to a tree in my leafy camo.
Unfortunately I shot and missed because I didn’t compensate for my scope and shot right under him.
Fastest running creature I’ve ever seen to date.

Back
Top Bottom