• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Interesting day on WMA

I shot this one last week on my parents property, just east of Canton. I'm not an expert on 'yotes, but it was odd. I saw it around 9pm in their pasture. It never ran, just paced back and forth about 45-50 yds in front of me.

I had my AR9 pistol, 10.5" with 124gr HST, rds with a Vortex 3x magnifier. It came in to about 25-30 yds, and I shot him in the head. Dropped hard, and I shot once more to make sure it was dead. It was.

I wondered why it didn't run? Used to people? Just seemed odd.

20190213_210802.jpg

I shot this one last week on my parents property, just east of Canton. I'm not an expert on 'yotes, but it was odd. I saw it around 9pm in their pasture. It never ran, just paced back and forth about 45-50 yds in front of me.

View attachment 2020018

That's pretty creepy, it may have been checking you out. Good on you for putting it down if they are getting balls that big.

I have a friend that lives off toonigh rd in an older subdivision and she is having a big problem with coyotes running around back there. They seem to be growing in numbers in the area.

Been there myself.
Learned the hard way that when a yote is walking towards you just dump the mag until it’s dead because if you wait for that perfect shot it WILL bolt before you knew what spooked it.
One of my best experiences was when one walked within 15 feet of me while I was standing next to a tree in my leafy camo.
Unfortunately I shot and missed because I didn’t compensate for my scope and shot right under him.
Fastest running creature I’ve ever seen to date.

COMANCHE, his front end was running 60+ MPH, and the back end was hauling @&$# his back end...

That's pretty creepy, it may have been checking you out. Good on you for putting it down if they are getting balls that big.

I have a friend that lives off toonigh rd in an older subdivision and she is having a big problem with coyotes running around back there. They seem to be growing in numbers in the area.

We had dinner with my folks that night, and my wife had to run to Kohl's. My 3 yr old daughter wanted to ride the pasture and look for deer and turkeys- she likes to sit in my lap and 'drive' lol.

The coyote was in my headlights as soon as I went thru the gate, which is right in the backyard. It stayed in the lights for a minute or so. Then walked off on my aunt's side.

I went back with my AR (.223) and the AR9. The lower part of the property is surrounded by houses, and I knew I couldn't safely shoot it with the .223 in that area, so the AR9 proved to be the right tool for the job. I was apprehensive about shooting it with a 9mm, but the HST's performed very well.

Turns out the one my daughter and I saw wasn't the one I killed. The one we saw was a very nice grey color, with a beautiful thick looking coat. The one I killed was a mangy red/brown color. I'll skin the other one if I'm lucky enough to get it.

I had my AR9 pistol, 10.5" with 124gr HST, rds with a Vortex 3x magnifier. It came in to about 25-30 yds, and I shot him in the head. Dropped hard, and I shot once more to make sure it was dead. It was.

View attachment 2020018
Could have been rabid, either way good shooting!

coyotes have no soul, integrity aint got **** to do with it
You may want to take the integrity issue up with GlockDawg GlockDawg because for me it was just a personal observation. I stand by my statement that good hunters always look for a clean kill. You may want to take that up with a man who had to put meat on the table for his family with a black powder muzzle loader - if you can find one :p.

As for whether or not animals, and humans for that matter have souls, you may want to take that up with your God.

You may want to take the integrity issue up with GlockDawg GlockDawg because for me it was just a personal observation.
I appreciate your observation but can also agree with BIKER13 BIKER13 if we are talking about coyotes specifically.

This was my first encounter with one while hunting small game. I've not experienced the problems they cause to land owners so my animus towards them in the wild is the same with any animal I may encounter out there.

If I owned land, I would probably be taking them out with extreme prejudice to protect my property and those within it. There is a clear difference.

Here's a question, since I was WMA hunting and coyotes are considered a nuisance. Can you really even just gut shot one in the first place legally speaking. I would think an ethical kill and retrieve would be the only way. Say you were being watched by an officer. Food for thought.

You may want to take the integrity issue up with GlockDawg GlockDawg because for me it was just a personal observation. I stand by my statement that good hunters always look for a clean kill. You may want to take that up with a man who had to put meat on the table for his family with a black powder muzzle loader - if you can find one :p.

As for whether or not animals, and humans for that matter have souls, you may want to take that up with your God.

You obviously have never seen what destruction coyotes do.. We have tracked a doe this year at dark, decided to look at daylight. We found the head the hooves and a picked carcass in less than 10 hours..

Take any shot they give you.. We have 3-4 coveys of quail and a serious coyote issue that impact the quail, fawns and rabbits.. We shoot and don’t retrieve the Coyotes.. well except this one...

D366719B-E85E-4ABD-89EA-EC0E641B91E8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom