• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Internal shotgun barrel rust

I-Tooth 4 I-Tooth

Default rank <2000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Lex Talionis
140   0
Reaction score
Many years ago my dad gave me his deceased brother's (yes i know, my uncle) single shot 12 gauge. Very fond memories growing up shooting this with pops at anything from cardboard to bottles and laundry detergent containers... our back deck July 4 and to celebrate the New Year at midnight.

Same time I unfortunately haven't shot it since my early 20s (eh- I'm 48 now!) due to significant rust and pitting inside the barrel.

So what's best route to get this sucker back in shape to shoot safely? Just take to gunsmith? Or is it easy enough to rectify on my own? Succumb to entirely new barrel (though that removes some nostalgia factor which prefer not to do if possible)? Outer side of bbl is solid, inner though is Roached.

Advice much appreciated...and ask to not beat me up too much if seems elementary to a lot of y'all. Prefer to keep it original if possible. Have never refurbished such so here I ask those in the know. Thanks in advance for any and all ODT!

I second the bronze brush. But get a second brush as you will need more than 1 most likely. How bad is the rust? If it's just surface rust then shouldn't pose a problem at all.

What these guys said. Also, you said you wanted to keep it original. I have my Dad's shotty that he bought new before I was born. All I do is keep it cleaned and oiled. I thought about refinishing it at one time. I decided against it. It basically looks like it did the last time he shot it. Now that he's gone, the character of that gun became important to me. I would give it some time before doing a lot to your uncle's gun other than cleaning it up. You might find that you like it just the way it is.

some pics of the inside of the barrel will help us with its condition. it is a shotgun, and people have been known to shoot everything from dog tag chain to nails thru them.
if its not that bad,brush it and make sure it looks solid. then shoot some low brass,low recoil bird shot thru it. the lead will remove most of the fowling..
just make sure its still solid.

It should be fine. I would find it hard to believe that it would rusted so ad that it wouldn't be usable. I use a bore snake on mine after every few uses. Most of the time just some rags with some gun oil on them. I would be more worried about the trigger and springs being gummed up if it wasn't cleaned the last time it was used 25 years ago, but it's nothing that can't be fixed.

Back
Top Bottom