Did you know iron lungs are still in uses

• Yes

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • I like tocos

Votes: 8 26.7%

• Total voters
This thread is useless without video or pics.
15506677081366756008490095875754.jpg
play nice or I will put this necklace on you superman

I was a patient at the hospital at Warm Springs off and on from when I was a toddler until my teen years. My momma would not allow me to go into the “wards” where people were on the iron lungs. Thanks to the dedication of my parents I recovered relatively well. From what I was told the treatments I underwent as a little tike were pretty brutal.
Younger folks have no idea of the fear people went through every summer during “Polio season”.

Many years ago my mother was a nurse at a Children's hospital And a few times even in the seventies and eighties children would show up with polio...this was In san diego and they were always Hispanic children who had not been vaccinated..RAYDOG you must be a older gentleman I can't remember meeting anybody who had polio in 30 years...kids who got it and lived through the first stages offen died with in a few years .world wide kids are still Dying from polio mostly in 3 world countys. but I was very surprised the iron lung was still in uses here in the USA..... I thought they were like Leprosy sylums gone long ago..

I just occurred to me that many of you may not know that the hospital at Warm Springs was a dedicated center for Polio patients.
how about a little back story when did you get polio what year ....did you recover fully....your Experience in Warm Springs With other children... Could you elaborate on your medical treatment...... After all is history that needs to be remembered....

I was stricken in the summer of 1953. That year had the third highest number of infections in U.S. history (almost 36,000}.
The Salk vaccine went into widespread distribution in 1955.

Older gentleman? Oh my. :shocked:

:becky:

I've got vaccinated in 1970 when I was really young, still have the scar. I remember seeing people afflicted with it when I was a kid, it was terrible

I've got vaccinated in 1970 when I was really young, still have the scar. I remember seeing people afflicted with it when I was a kid, it was terrible
smallpox vaccine left a scar.. the polio vaccine was a sugar cube or a 1zo cup of liquid.....my father in law has a very small blue dot tattoo in the middle of his scar he said all the kid got them he was vaccinated in California in the 50s ...he is the only person I've known who had this.....is the anybody Else out there who has seen a tattoo like that

Back
Top Bottom