• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Who has Hearing Aids?

I use an ear trumpet and when I'm feeling fancy, an ear gramophone.
IMG_8398.jpeg
IMG_8396.jpeg
IMG_8395.jpeg

I always caught heck as being a Safety Professional but if they would only realize when they get my age, they’ll be glad and thankful in the end. 4 things was mandatory just to be on site, Hard Hat, Safety Glasses, Hearing Protection and Steel or Composite Toe boots.

Left ear’s completely shot, had a Costco special in my right for about 5 years, worked pretty good, it just gave out.
Working with an audiologist now to upgrade to new unit, plus receiver for left side that sends to right.
Serious sticker shock, $7-$10 thousand for the system.
May be driving to Jacksonville Costco for second opinion.
In for other’s’ findings.

The best advice given, be patient!
You will hear things that you’ve never heard in a long time and they become annoying quickly. I have 5k in mine and never wear them, they are rechargeable and blue tooth, but I forgot brand.
It sucks having major hearing loss. I rely on people speaking up, or lip reading. Good luck

I've worn hearing aids since 2009. All have been Phonak. I had soft cone ear inserts until six years ago, then had to move to hard molded ear inserts as my hearing loss became significantly worse.

The soft cone ear inserts allow frequencies you can hear to pass and the hearing aid just amplifies the frequencies you have difficulty with. If your hearing becomes severe across the board, you might have to get hard ear inserts. These provide a barrier between the speaker (in your ear) and the microphone (behind you ear). Without the barrier you'll get feedback through the speaker in your ear. Think high pitched screeching. The soft cones are great. The hard inserts are less comfortable for me. Even with them in some situations, I have to increase the volume to the point I get feedback.

My hearing loss is severe across the frequency band. When I turn them up, they increase the sound of everything. For me group conversations are very difficult as I have to look at who I'm talking with (think reading lips). Conversations in restaurants or places with lots of background noise is near impossible.

If your hearing loss is mild, you should be good to go. Do everything you can to preserve what hearing ability you currently have. Double hearing protection would have been my friend when I was in the service. Too bad I thought I was immortal.

I currently have rechargeable hearing aids. I like them better that the battery powered aids. They're waterproof; they survived the washer and dryer once. Allow yourself time to get used to the hearing aids. Be patient with yourself.
I have the:

Phonak Audeo L Lumity L90​

they've been great so far, battery life is about a full day. Streaming music and books through them is awesome. I love the fact that they sync to my Android phone and give me the ability to answer and disconnect calls without having to pull my phone out of my pocket. The sound quality is good and the adjustments (e.g., you can have several preconfigured user selectable sound configurations like RESTAURANT, MOVIES, BACKGROUND NOISE, etc., with the ability to customize more to your liking). I would highly recommend.

I have the:

Phonak Audeo L Lumity L90​

they've been great so far, battery life is about a full day. Streaming music and books through them is awesome. I love the fact that they sync to my Android phone and give me the ability to answer and disconnect calls without having to pull my phone out of my pocket. The sound quality is good and the adjustments (e.g., you can have several preconfigured user selectable sound configurations like RESTAURANT, MOVIES, BACKGROUND NOISE, etc., with the ability to customize more to your liking). I would highly recommend.
My wife says I already have selectable hearing.

I had to get hearing aids when the Covid masks came about. I did not realize how reliant I had become on reading lips. I worked on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier in the 90s, and that was the cause of the damage I believe . I am 50 years old and chose the Connect Hearing Phonak brand. I thought birds had gone extinct and everyone was mumbling. Spent around $4,000 on them. Best investment I’ve made lately.

Back
Top Bottom