• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is a 6 foot fence enough?

They can easily jump a 6ft fence, but like others said, should be a very small concern. Deer are fast and will learn the ropes quick. As soon as they hear/smell your dog, they will be long gone. Add a bell to his/her collar if you want to increase those odds. I wouldn’t think a GP would even try anything stupid since they are protectors. Here’s my attack shepherd with a fawn she found in our garden last year.View attachment 6100494View attachment 6100495View attachment 6100496
That's is cool! All dogs are not the vicious killers people think they are.

You would need at least an 8' fence. The dog will be the best deterrent. Also make it a point not to plant something the deer would eat, at least if you don't want it ate

I'm in the process of moving out of Gwinnett county (thank God) to Hall county Got an acre on Lake Lanier. We are putting a metal fence up in the back yard 6' (pic attached) I have a 105 lb Great Pyrenees, the purpose being to keep her in. We were at the house yesterday working on punch list stuff and walked into the backyard and there were 3 fairly large deer in the back yard. Will this fence be any sort of deterrent to keep them out of the back yard? I'm a little worried if one of them gets over the fence and Bella goes after it I know hooves are sharp and I don't want the dog to get tore up. I don't have a lot of experience with deer but I know a lot of you guys do. Any thoughts on this?
View attachment 6100313
Rule of thumb is 12" but that's when there is something the deer want, such as an apple orchard or other desirable food sources. No 8' fence can keep a White Tail out, but at that height they have to have a good reason to jump it. If your fence blocks their historical routes they just might jump the fence to to stay the course. An older an long time fiend educated me on how deer have historical routes. So even in the illinois farm land where it's pretty flat. You can see deer crossing on open field edges in the same locations year in, year out. He lived in this area his whole life and he explained and showed me a few travle lanes where fences used to line the fields. His reasoning is that the deer used to follow the fence line crossing fields and even though the fences are now gone, they still travel the same lines. The same way many native American trails ended up as roads.

That's is cool! All dogs are not the vicious killers people think they are.
She wanted me to clarify that she is indeed a vicious killer, she’s just selective. Groundhogs are Def on her sh*tlist! 😉
8E54BA71-653C-474D-8B85-FD20964FF9FE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom