• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is an AR lower a Rifle or a Part?

Is an AR lower a rifle or a part?

• It is a rifle, list it in rifles.

Votes: 48 47.1%
  • It is a part, list it in parts/accessories.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • It is a rifle, but I would prefer it was listed in parts.

Votes: 19 18.6%

• Total voters

Okuma

Space Force Icon Supporter
crocodylus pontifex
Staff member
Administrator
275   0
Reaction score
I feel like anything that is not a complete gun belongs in parts/accessories, but a lot of people disagree and want to list AR lowers in the rifles section.

So I figured I would just put it to a vote.

I believe technically the lower is considered a gun. It is the part with the serial number and if purchased from a dealer the form must be filled out.

A lower receiver is registered either as a pistol or as a rifle as per the NFA. I think you should be able to post it in both sections.

The lower is the serialized piece, but I consider it a part bescause it is only half of the rifle. When you say gun, I think of the whole gun that can be fired.

A firearm is a piece that you can load and fire.
Anything less than that is a part or component.
Lowers, uppers, stripped, complete are not guns,
they are components or parts of a gun IMO

Last edited:
According to BATF, the lower IS the firearm...it is the integral component that bears the identifying marks (serial number, manufacturer id etc). A dealer can sell all the uppers, stocks, handguards etc all day without paperwork. If he sells a lower without the same paperwork required with a handgun or hunting rifle (Form 4473), he would be in violation of federal statutes.
When you sell a lower, you are selling a FIREARM, not a part. You can confirm this with a call your regional BATF office. Hope this helps.

I understand how the batf classifies it. What I really want to know is how do you personally classify it, and where do you want those listings to be when you go to browse the trading post?

I dont care what the BATF says. A lower is part of the whole AR platform. I dont think O Steve is wanting to debate BATF technicalities but rather where these parts should go as it pertains to the classifieds.

EDIT: O Steve beat me to it. I type too slow.

Having said that, I would love to see complete uppers and complete lowers listed in the rifle section.......unless it's a pistol lower, then it would go in the pistol section. Stripped lowers, uppers, LPK's and other small parts go in the ammo, parts, etc section.

OR..........since there are so many AR type firearms on here......there could be a AR dedicated section, bolt gun section, black powder section, shotgun section and semi auto section. Sections are awesome!

I call it a firearm, but as a retired LEO, I tend to think toward the statutory definition and I wouldn't want to confuse a novice who might think because it COULD be called a part, it doesn't require as much diligence as one would extend to a fully assembled FIREARM and then get themselves into a potentially very expensive legal dilema.

Back
Top Bottom