• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is an AR lower a Rifle or a Part?

Is an AR lower a rifle or a part?

• It is a rifle, list it in rifles.

Votes: 48 47.1%
  • It is a part, list it in parts/accessories.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • It is a rifle, but I would prefer it was listed in parts.

Votes: 19 18.6%

• Total voters
I agree with 19 Kilo. While it makes more sense I think to have a lower receiver listed as a part (seeing as how it is not capable of going bang) , to keep things clear and avoid any confusion about what is actually being bought and sold I would say anything that is legally a firearm should go in the appropriate firearms section. Just my 1/50th of a dollar.

I think simple is always better, keeping with the law and not peoples opinion will always be the best solution.

Seriously?

Anyway, so a lower should be listed in rifles and handguns, and uppers listed in parts?

In my opinion, the simplest thing would be to list all the parts of an AR under parts.

Just because I like this topic I'll toss this out there.

gun (gun)
noun
a weapon consisting of a metal tube from which a projectile is discharged by the force of an explosive; specif., technically, a heavy weapon with a relatively long barrel fixed in a mount, as a cannon or machine gun
a rifle

It really does not matter to me either way but I thought I would add this as well:

From Wikipedia

A firearm is a device which projects either single or multiple projectiles at high velocity through a controlled explosion.
I don't see a lower or and upper doing that without the other and many other parts.

Again, I do not care either way. To me it just makes more sense to put components and/or parts
in that forum.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a separate section for AR/AK
There are so much stuff to go with them...
This would keep the other sections cleaner.

I can agree with both sides on ths one.

As a dealer, I tend to lean on the 'rifle' piece since it is considered a 'firearm' by the BATF and we have to log it in our A&D book. BUT when we conduct a call-in we refer to it as a neither a Handgun nor Long gun , but as a 'receiver' as indicated in Section B, block 18 on the ATF Form 4473.

If the choices are "ammo and accessories", "Long Guns" or "Hand Guns"; I would have to go with "Long Guns" or "Hand Guns" depending on the lower. I would not dump it in the accessory bin.

My 2 cents

I think both sections should be allowed. It will probably get more hits in the rifle section though. But in my opinion it is just a part used in the construction of a firearm. A lower is no good without and upper and an upper is not good without a lower.
They both are just a piece of metal without the other components needed for assembly. If the ATF would have serialized the upper instead of the lower it still is just a part of an incomplete firearm.

Back
Top Bottom